Pages:
Actions
  • #61 by shawdreamer on 20 Jul 2017
  • Ill be updating this topic with build progress once it starts so pretty much all the info you'll need will be here somewhere.

As for using a Naza over a APM or Pixhawk I cant foresee any issue as the Naza is a step up from even the Pix which inturn is superior to the APM and as it stands even the APM should be enough to handle this frame design demands.
  • #62 by shawdreamer on 23 Jul 2017
  • riiiiiiiight

due to my impatience in regards to waiting for carbon plating I decided to do a little remixing of the 550 design.

Instead of holding off till my carbon fibre plates turn up and I can get some workroom space back to cut them I decided to utilise my old 450 alien x-mode frame Id be considering re-building.

only really want the top and bottom plate so whipped off the arms and standoff's and shelved them.

next I did some minor part re-designing to make the original designs usable on the x-mode's plates...

wont be as tough and pretty as the carbon fibre version Ill make for the Brother-In-Law but will surfice for myself till I get round to making a second set of carbon plates.

started prototyping straight away and have a more or less solid setup already...

see how the parts hold up in ABS for now, theyve been designed to cope with the stresses so they should be fine but I intend to switch out to Petg for the full carbon plate frame just to give that added bit of security.

rather than undersling a battery setup Im considering saddle bagging two 3000mah 3s/4s to keep the frame more balanced across the horizontal, lower drag profile and keep the bottom clear for a 3-axis gimbal, have to give that more careful thought once the tubing for the arms turns up and I can see if theirs any issue with them swung back in storage position.

so far though Im pretty pleased but as with any frame....its all about how she fly's at the end of the day.
  • #63 by shawdreamer on 23 Jul 2017
  • ok, ironed out a couple of design issues and reprinted a completed set of parts for the plates...

high res image hosting

carbon fibre tubing should arrive tomorrow (If HK's 24hr delivery holds true still) then I can cut em to size, add some motor mounts and slot it all together ready for the electronics and motors as they arrive :frantic:
  • #64 by shawdreamer on 24 Jul 2017
  • whoopwhoop....

sooo tempted to leave the arms that long (with motor mounts in place it'd be a 700 frame size) so I can consider some seriously stupid big props, but think Ill trim em back till its a 500 sized frame and not get ahead of myself.
  • #65 by Dippi on 24 Jul 2017
    sooo tempted to leave the arms that long (with motor mounts in place it'd be a 700 frame size) so I can consider some seriously stupid big props, but think Ill trim em back till its a 500 sized frame and not get ahead of myself.

Questions -
    1: Since you have printed the arm holders, the parts on the central plates, was the job difficult, expensive and time-consuming?
    2: What is thickness of the rods and how much did they cost and from where were they purchased (i think you had mentioned that in some post, not sure)?
    3: Is it a H or a X frame?
    4: Are you going to build the motor mounts or order them?
    5: What might be the final cost of this build?
    6: Will you build such frame for others?
    Thanks
  • #66 by shawdreamer on 24 Jul 2017
  • Questions -
    1: Since you have printed the arm holders, the parts on the central plates, was the job difficult, expensive and time-consuming?not really (for all three points) "difficult" but thats in terms of my own perspective, I have the benefit of an engineering background and quite alot of experience with designing such things,
     expense wise its cost me what little bit of filament Ive used to make the parts (a 1kg roll of ABS can be gotten for £14 and thatd make hundreds of these parts)and the plates off a x-mode alien frame (if I was to buy one now its £11 in most places) and some CF tubing for around £12, time wise, it took me a day to come up with a working prototype but again that has alot to do with previous experience

2: What is thickness of the rods and how much did they cost and from where were they purchased (i think you had mentioned that in some post, not sure)?14mm OD CF, HobbyKing
    3: Is it a H or a X frame?X
    4: Are you going to build the motor mounts or order them?I used the same tubing in my last 250 frame so I could simply use the same design mounts I used on that frame but I may consider cutting some CF ones to better support larger motors
    5: What might be the final cost of this build?around the £30 mark if I was to start from scratch without any materials
    6: Will you build such frame for others? ThanksA second more Carbon Fibre based version will be going to my brother-in-law but much the same as all my designs I publish them to thingiverse where anyone can freely download them if they wish and make their own, though it might sound a little narcissistic I dont do it to profit myself in monetary terms.... I just enjoy doing it (something like an extension of my multirotor flying hobby if you like) and get a sense of pride when I see others using my designs and also enjoying them.

hope that helps.
  • #67 by shawdreamer on 10 Aug 2017
  • KITCHENS DOOOOOOONE
    <does a little dance>

which means I got my workroom back this morning and set about playing catch-up.

stuck the larger frame to one side for the time being and went back to sorting the 220 Dasher design (still no sign of the bloody CF plates I ordered off eGay though).

printed out the upper and lower spacer plates aswell as a revised body design...

1.5mm CF plates go ontop and bottom of the the red arms your seeing there, like so...

new upload photos

being as thats as pretty much as far as I can go with the frame till the CF shows up I decided to set about arranging the electronics guts....

MOTORS - Undecided but definetly be 4s rated
    FPV GEAR - Eachine 1000tvl (love how clear the image is from these), a Eachine TX801 switchable Vtx (so far been bullet proof so I wont mess about there)
    FC - have a brand new virgin Afroflight32 rev6 still in its baggy knocking about so might give that a go see how it handles it (dont recall if its 6dof or 10, Ill have to check if the Barameters present)
    ESC - was originally planning on using some RacerStar RS20a Lites but leaned toward a more weight and space freindly 4in1, then during my parts digging I came across a whole pile of DYS 16a mini's I bought from HK a while back and totally forgot about, figured I might aswell try them out.... nothing to loose really...

post image

as you can see these things are diddy, my phone was struggling to focus on them their that small, they also come pre-pinned which though you might think makes life easier if you just buy some connectors and presto easy changeable escs but no... Ive no idea what these pins are designed for but they match no available connector I can find and I have pretty much every type knocking about so I set about "making them work for me" ::)

upload a photo

Diehards much like myself will probably be thinking "I wouldnt use connectors, Id direct solder" which tbh is what Id have opted for but when you begin to realise how fiddly these ickle feckers are to de-solder and resolder to what Id term satisfactory you start to understand, plus Ive not used these before so if any are faulty I wanna be able to simply pull em out and replace rather than risk de-soldering a second time (I doubt the solder pads would hold out to well even if Im careful), ontop of that I wanted to test each and every one before fitting them into the frame which the connectors make a doddle obviously...

again it also saves me any messy solder work if a motor is crossed/reversed on fitment (I can just pop out the JST header connector in the plug and swap it with the other.... job done.

As I said though Ive never flown any of these so they may very well be cack in which case they be coming back out and the RacerStars can go in with minimal fuss, see how they fair I suppose.

feels so good to be making progress again...... time to pee the missus off with some heavy parts purchasing :evil
  • #68 by shawdreamer on 11 Aug 2017
  • STILL NO SODDIN CF BOARDS Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

oh well, I dug about in my material pile and found some reinforced fake cf fibreglass board so I decided to use that for the time being and atleast I could put together a physical prototype frame that'd let me see any issues Ive missed in the design process and I could get a good idea of its finished dimensions and overall appearance.

doesnt look to bad if I do say so myself....

upload your pics

doesnt seem like there's any real issue with the finished design, should work out fine even using the mini escs and not the 4in1, Pretty dam rigid too even with the FG and not the CF plates (the CF should make it a absolute tank :laugh:)

ps. the electronics there are purely my mock up stuff, only used to confirm dimensions, not finished article.
  • #69 by Bajadre on 11 Aug 2017
  • Looking good matey  :cool:  ~~
Pages:
Actions