Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bad Raven on 06 Dec 2017
  • A RC club has operated in airport outer airspace with long standing airport permissions for 400', relevant authority and planning permissions, and is permanently on NOTAMS and marked on all maps/charts. It has done this in conjunction with the airport ATC operation with their knowledge, permissions and NO incidents or issues have arisen for over twenty years.

Yesterday a large Agusta Helicopter, believed a regular if not resident (investigating), leaving the airport stayed far FAR too low and overflew the working RC site at great speed with no warning from behind tree cover.  Not only the height, but also the direction was very abnormal, well under the usual height and position.

Only alertness by RC fliers on site flying planes at around 200' max diving out of its way, one as a result force landing off strip with gear damage, prevented the likelihood of an impact incident.

The club ALWAYS operates to the rules, every and all the time flying takes place, which is nearly every day, so you'd think regular airport users (as this almost certainly was) would know (and have checked as they are supposed to do) and act accordingly.   :shrug:

No guesses which way it would have gone if contact had occurred with this damn cowboy!   :banghead:
  • #2 by Bajadre on 06 Dec 2017
  • hope they reported the chopper pilot for not following rules etc like you said it would of been other way around would be all over the front pages I expect lol  :banghead:
  • #3 by UrbanFPV on 06 Dec 2017
  • This should be reported to the CAA as an AIRPROX - if helicopter pilot was flying illegally low. 
  • #4 by Lamaule on 06 Dec 2017
  • This should be reported to the CAA as an AIRPROX - if helicopter pilot was flying illegally low.

Agreed, and the CAA will commend the good practice!
  • #5 by LuMan on 07 Dec 2017
  • This is an interesting topic. The RC club where I fly is in close proximity to an international airport and while I've never seen big jets getting close I have seen some GA aircraft milling overhead a bit lower than I would have thought safe. Certainly below 400ft.

Last November I flew my S550 up to approximately 400ft, checking that the GPS was set correctly to top out at 350ft. About 5 minutes later a club Cessna tootled over the field so low that even my father in law commented that it seemed lower than what I was flying.

Had there been a collision (God forbid), at least I could have pulled the GPS data from my video to prove I was within the law. Whether or not it would have held water is another thing, however.....
  • #6 by Elmattbo on 08 Dec 2017
  • Why do you think it wouldn’t have been accepted? I don’t think there is a conspiracy against rc pilots. If you’re flying legally then you have no case to answer, end of. In the eyes of the CAA, any judge and the aviation community at large as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • #7 by Steve J on 08 Dec 2017
  • Yesterday a large Agusta Helicopter, believed a regular if not resident (investigating), leaving the airport stayed far FAR too low and overflew the working RC site at great speed with no warning from behind tree cover.  Not only the height, but also the direction was very abnormal, well under the usual height and position.

Only alertness by RC fliers on site flying planes at around 200' max diving out of its way, one as a result force landing off strip with gear damage, prevented the likelihood of an impact incident.

I'll echo what has been said above, raise an airprox and contact the airport.

A few airproxes have been raised this year by UAV pilots and in none of these have the airprox board been critical of the UAV pilot. 2017100 is a good example, a coastguard helicopter flew low over Beaulieu airfield and a UAV pilot took evasive action, from the report -

Members noted that the former Beaulieu airfield is a VRP and has a recognised and active model aircraft site and as such, the AW189 operating authority may wish to take this into account.

Steve
  • #8 by DarrellW on 09 Dec 2017
  • Where I fly we are quite close to Bobbington airport where a lot of training and some displays go on. We often have planes flying too low around our site and regularly report the incidents, despite this NO action!!!
    We have tried to sort this out with the Airport, but so far no improvement; we have decided to fully document the next time to the authorities I.e. the CAA for their comments.................

Pages:
Actions