User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • hoverfly: you been watching... :embarrassed
    December 15, 2017, 14:16:18
  • VaNDAL_UK: grab ya TX and pretend to be flying it
    December 15, 2017, 11:22:49
  • hoverfly: Sitting looking out the window watching  a Redkite  being mobbed by a couple of crows.   3d handbrake corners , and a  visible contempt for gravity  .So not a bad morning so far.. :smiley: :smiley:
    December 15, 2017, 10:29:36
  • Icefever: At last the TX is talking to the FC...now I can get on with sorting out the next part
    December 14, 2017, 15:40:20
  • Icefever: Bad R...I have matey here..[link].
    December 12, 2017, 15:30:28
  • Bad Raven: IF/A7, a summary thread would enable more people to look and comment, its too big here!
    December 12, 2017, 07:05:40
  • Icefever: I've set the failsafe in the TX setting that's all..there's no connection between the TX and quad. at all..
    December 12, 2017, 03:40:10
  • Icefever: Andy..I've only messed with the failsafe one...but not in Beta.
    December 12, 2017, 03:38:04
  • Andy7: Ice: Is it just that it's not arming? Have you set the switch settings in betaflight?
    December 11, 2017, 21:24:23
  • Two-Six: Fixed it yet Ice?
    December 11, 2017, 15:04:23
  • hoverfly: ffs.. :rofl: :rofl:
    December 11, 2017, 14:51:15
  • Bad Raven: No, a nun falling down stairs...............
    December 11, 2017, 14:01:01
  • DarkButterfly: :laugh:
    December 11, 2017, 12:27:30
  • hoverfly: you are probably on a zebra crossing. ::)
    December 11, 2017, 09:49:42
  • Bad Raven: Everything went white, black, white, and is now mostly black again.............
    December 10, 2017, 16:55:37
  • hoverfly: everything has gone white. :shrug:
    December 10, 2017, 12:21:29
  • Icefever: Hi Andy I have a prob with the Tx.  it's bound to the rx but when I try the either gimbel nothing happens....I have a green led on the rx..when connected to beta I can run up the motors but nothing else??help
    December 10, 2017, 09:23:12
  • Andy7: Perfect day to have shaved off the beard.... :(
    December 10, 2017, 09:17:17
  • Saleem: Just dont do it facing the wind
    December 09, 2017, 19:36:25
  • hoverfly: AGHHH  yellow snow warning  :laugh:
    December 09, 2017, 18:49:57

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: "HighSide" Slope Soarer Build Blog  (Read 1809 times)

Offline Two-Six

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 302
  • Have I had my biscuites yet?
"HighSide" Slope Soarer Build Blog
« on: January 23, 2017, 00:51:44 »
I have decided to make a little build blog with pictures of the "Highside" slope soarer as featured in Novembers RCM&E. 

The official build blog can be found here: http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=113204

I bought a kit from SLEC that has all the laser cuts parts needed and a wood pack as I don';t have much balsa in my wood collection.  I am still going to need to get other parts like the servos, a receiver, a battery, control rods and snakes and a few other bits.

http://www.slecuk.com/balsa-wood/Highside-Glider-Complete-Kit-PRC003.html

I decided to have a go at this one as I have never build a balsa aircraft before and this one is supposed to be an easy build.  Looking at the plans, it look fairly easy, nothing too complicated going on, its build from chunky balsa parts so hopefully its going to be strong and it also doesn';t need much in the way of fancy wood and fixtures and fittings.  I also like the look of it and it has no dihedral so it will be fairly aerobatic.

I went for a glider for cost reasons and for having no extra complications of having a propulsion system, glow or electric.  That will be the next one.  I also like slope soaring and have a couple of places to go that are great for it near me.

So hear we go.  I decided after advice from people here to build it on plaster board.  It seems like a good idea, its very cheap and cork tiles have suddenly become expensive for some strange reason.  Are they trendy now or something?
My plaster board has warped a little bit in storage but I can clamp that to something flat.  It can be cut to size easily, it takes pins well.   I still might go for the more usual method of cork tiles on a board, especially for the wings.

I put thick polythene over the plans, hopefully the bits wont stick to it...I have also got two copies of each sheet so I can cut out bits of the plan for hard to cut bits to get them just right.  I stick these bits of plan on the wood using spray mount, very handy stuff.

Here we go, ready for The First Cut!

So far so good

I have been cutting out all the other little ribs for the tail today and will be glueing them up tomorrow hopefully.  Then I will need to profile the tail parts (somehow), add some ply bits to fix the control horns onto and make a piano wire joiner for the elevator';s.

Nighthawk Pro, Trex 450 L Dominator 6 cell *FLOWN*, Blade 450-3D, MCPX-BL, MCPX-V2, Hubsan X4, Seagull Boomerang IC .40 trainer, HK Bixler, AXN Clouds fly,, Spektrum DX7, Taranis, AccuRC

Offline Two-Six

Re: "HighSide" Slope Soarer Build Blog
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 18:47:52 »
Right, I cut out all the little bits yesterday, it took about 4 hours, but I was going slowly and getting my technique right.  I found it was easier to just cut the strips with a scalpel by eye and sand them a bit to fit. I glued them in today.  It wasn';t too hard and so far, I still think this thing is gonna work.

I am enjoying working with balsa as it can be cut and shaped so easily, its not at all like working with other kinds of wood.  Its cheap and because the scale is small, mistakes don';t really matter.

Nighthawk Pro, Trex 450 L Dominator 6 cell *FLOWN*, Blade 450-3D, MCPX-BL, MCPX-V2, Hubsan X4, Seagull Boomerang IC .40 trainer, HK Bixler, AXN Clouds fly,, Spektrum DX7, Taranis, AccuRC

Offline Two-Six

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 21:07:26 »
I have now profiled the tail=plane and fitted the piano wire joiner in the elevator.  That was really quite tricky.  I bent the wire using my home-made wire bender which works pretty well and got nice even 90 degree bends on the wire, accurately positioned....It would be hard to do it without my gadget.  I also had to drill two holes down into the elevator.  I used my pillar drill and it went great, without one it would have been almost impossible to drill the holes straight enough.

Also cutting the rebate for the wire into the edge of the elevator was a very nerve-wracking job, a very fine line between splitting the wood totally knackering it and doing it well.  Thankfully it all went fine, it fits into the holes nice and snuggly but with no jamming it in and crunchy noises....

Here is now profiled rudder all finished sitting on the plan.

And not on the plan

SO the tail bits are finished, onto the fuselage.

Step one bending the longerons for the nice curvey tail this glider has.  I had to soak them in the bath for about 45 mins in hot water but they bent to the right shape easilly.  I let them dry and have now started gluing them to the other body part and will fill in the tail with the struts soon.

I also had to cut a hole for the wing.  That was scary and I really hope I haven';t screwed this bit up!  I won';t know until I try to fit the wings on. The top bit will be cut free and fix onto the underside of the wing and I will need to shape the saddle so the lower side of the wing fits in nicely.  So far it looks OK to me. The holes are in the right place on the plan anyway and just a little too small..hopefully..

Next up is to stick on some more longerons and test fit a few of the ply former the so they are in the right place.  I then need to make the other fuselage side in the same way.

After that I will need to glue the two halves together with the ply formers in place.

I am surprised so far at how well it seems to be going...As long as I don';t build something upside down, saw through something important, drop something on it or do a variety of other really stupid things....

What could possibly go wrong?? :shrug:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 14:14:05 by Two-Six »

Offline hoverfly

• Liked: 847
  • Quads, lots of quads
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 19:45:45 »
loooking good m8, slow and steady gets you there, measure twice , cut once, remembering parts come in two hands ,left,& right,  made that ballsup a few times. :embarrassed
Reptile folder , alien 500 , F/ Shark Attitudes,
Spektrum DX 8 with mode knob conversion.Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks..

Offline Two-Six

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 19:52:58 »
I have now made the other half of the fuselage and remembered to make it a left side instead making two right sides  ~~

I have also added the infill structure to the tail.  All this was pretty easy and I am pretty happy with the results.

Getting the formers in the right place was a bit tricky until I drew some lines on the plan...I was terrible at technical drawing at school. 

I also cut two slots in the wrong place in the batons inside that should have held F2 in place but actually it doesn';t matter much as far as I can see and I filled them in again.  It might affect the strength of Former 2 a little bit but its held in well anyway without the slotted joint that it should have had.

I also glued a strip in the wrong place on the tail, extending the glue too far and I had to cut that off too...Still nothing terrible and I am sure these screw-ups it won';t affect anything much.

I could have easily have done something much worse.  :wack0

I now need to sheet the bottom and top with 3mm balsa sheet.

Then I need to make a wedge thing to go at the tail end and pull the tail together, sandwiching the vertical stabiliser between the two sides and fit the horizontal stabiliser.

This is where the alignment needs to be spot on and the fuselage needs to be straight.  I need a plan as to how to do this properly.

I am still not that sure how the wings are supposed to be fitted, I need to cut away a bit and make a saddle thing for them somehow....I will figure that out properly later on  :hmm:

Offline Verrox

• Liked: 0
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 07:40:18 »
I am following your post as I am cutting and building the Highside from plan. Good to know there is now a woodpack available. This is also my first build as I have only done minor repairs to planes thus far and never attempted rebuilding a wing.

It might be easier to fit the servo trays and route the sleeves for the push wires to the rudder and elevator before covering with 3mm balsa sheet.

It looks like the two sides of the tail can be glued together and the vertical stabiliser is just let into the tail and former';s. Test fitting I found cutting the wood from plan the tong on the stabiliser had to be extended length wise to fit in the fromer';s F5, F6. Please note I have not blued the tail or any of the control surfaces yet as the alignment at this point is important as stated by yourself.

Offline Verrox

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 07:49:11 »

Once the two parts of the wing is joined I will figure out how to best strengthen the wing to be bolted to the plane.

Some more pictures showing different angels.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 07:55:19 by Verrox »

Offline trebor

• Old boy
  • Liked: 109
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 09:07:19 »
I';ll follow this one as I got the magazine that month and saved the plan. Not sure when I will build mine though, need to make a space or take over another room in the house.

Offline Two-Six

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 11:40:09 »
Hi Verrox, Its great to see somebody else';s Highside build.  You have done a nice job, I hope mine is as good.  I was going to leave sheeting the tail until the snakes are fitted and that will need to wait until the tail parts are ready to go on so I can get the alignment right with the control horns.

I have started glueing in the tail formers, one by one.  I have been using my helicopter pitch gauge (which measures angles of tilt) to make sure the tip of the tail is level with the flat bit of the fuselage under the wing.  As the two sides are not 100% the same the tail is out by a few degrees (about 3) so I am clamping the tail at the end to make sure its level and then glueing in another former.  When I stick the tail ends together I can finalise the positioning and hopefully it will be spot on.

This is  important as the horizontal stabiliser will not be level.  However there is some scope for a bit of sanding to get it level but better to try to get it level before the final fixing.

I will look forward to seeing some more pictures of your build.

Offline Verrox

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 06:03:08 »
Two-Six,

It feels as if my build has slowed down. I now have more appreciation for the work that goes into building a model. That said I love it!

I still have to do the final fit of the horizontal and vertical stabiliser after the wing has been completed as I would like to have them all aligned before covering and epoxy. 

With the two wing panels build it was down to some delicate sculpting and sanding. It took less time to build than what I thought. But then it is a simple wing. I am having difficulty in how to get the 1% incident of the wing before cladding since I intend to clad the complete wing for durability since I have to land in a mixture of brush and grass patches on my home slope. I will also have to add two layers of glass on the leading edge to avoid dings. I do not have a heli or a pitch gauge but will apply my rusty trigonometry skills. Trying is the best way so I will let you know how it turned out.

Happy building.

Offline Two-Six

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 15:19:32 »
I have got back to building and have had a go at making one wing. 

<br /><br />

<br /><br />

You can see the balsa part that is supposed to make the wing tip sitting on the end of the wing.  More on that below.

I am a bit stuck as to how to proceed.  I think I can remove the wing panel from the board now and build the other wing without doing any sheeting yet or making the wing tips....But I am not too sure about this. 

<br /><br />

These bits of spar need to be cut and sanded flush to the first rib's surface too I think, I have left them in place for now.  Both wing panels are supposed to be butt-jointed together with rib one next to rib one on the other panel.  There is no dihedral here, its a flat wing.

The wing tips. 

<br /><br />

As stated before, there is a balsa wingtip supplied for both wings. The official way on how to use it is to stick it down the center line of the tip rib, then make some wedge shaped bits of balsa above and below stuck to the end rib and taper it to the tip.  Sounds good to me.  I am not sure if these tips need to be sheeted or just covered.  The way to do it isn't massively clear to me. 

Another guy who build one of these has made solid wingtips for his one.  His excellent build blog can be found here:

http://slopesoaringsussex.blogspot.co.uk/p/highside-glider-build.html

Those bits of spar and the three bits of balsa laminated together need to be cut off too in line with the tip rib but I thought I would leave them there for now to perhaps give me more options on the wing tips construction...Not sure exactly what to do with these wings tips right now.

So if it is safe to remove what I have built so far, reclaim the building board and crack on with the 2nd wing I think this is what I am going to do now.  I will wait for a while before doing anything more until I am sure of my next steps.

I can re-visit the sheeting, wing tips, fixing the wings together and making the actual wing attachment dowels and bolt thingy a bit later on....

Any tips ideas or comments would be welcome...I feel like an astronaut in a submarine with this project  :shrug:

Offline trebor

• Old boy
  • Liked: 109
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 00:41:43 »
Still watching with interest, keep going  ~~

Offline DarrellW

• Site Sponsor
  • Liked: 2377
  • Living on an island!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 08:18:57 »
I would cover it, if you have a bit of a tumble it’s more strength especially if you manage to cartwheel it!!!
I think..........I think I am........therefore I am.............I think!

Offline hoverfly

• Quads, lots of quads
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 10:27:19 »
Looks like the build is going well. I would sheet the wing before removing it will stop any subsequent warping and the need to pin it down again. The wing tip should be relatively easy , the use of a razor plane makes the job a lot easier,  solid tips are useful when doing lateral balancing after covering as small lead pellets can be embedded in them.
Looking at the build log the sheeting stops at the last rib, the whole wing then covered in Solarfilm  or similar.
Keep at it,  ~~
Spektrum DX 8 with mode knob conversion.Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks..

Offline Two-Six

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 16:47:54 »
I have trimmed of the spars flush with the end ribs.  I can do the tips later I think.

Looking at the other build blog the guy didn't start sheeting until he had build the other wing and joined them together.

I don't want to sheet up the wing root as I need to do something when the wings are joined to include a thing that holds a bolt and a captive nut and some dowels.  I think these bits go between the 1st root side rib and the next one along and there is the servo hatch too to think of.  There are little ply-wood bits for the servos to sit on with slots in them.

Again perhaps I should leave the sheeting until I have two wings halves joined together.  It might be clearer then as to whats needed between them for fixing them on.  Also, I can't do the tip sheeting until I do something with the tip profile or make solid tips.

Perhaps I should leave it until I do the other wing.

Looking at the beam of 6mm square balsa that makes up the leading and trailing edge there is a little gap where it sits up from the ribs just high enough to allow a 1.5 mm sheet of balsa to sit in the gap and be flush with the top of the LE and TE piece and be butt glued to it. 

This looks better than sanding down the LE and TE to match the profile of the ribs and gluing the sheeting on top of the LE and TE  right up to the edge, I think this is how its supposed to work.  The sheeting sitting flush with the un profiled LE and TE.  Another builder I have been communicating with said he had problems with this as the supplied balsa planks weren't wide enough or something... I didn't quite understand this bit. 

He said this"After much puzzling, I went for putting the wing sheet over the top of the leading and trailing edges and sanded to suit. ( I am actually used to butt joining there. ) This proved in conflict with the wood available, as four inch sheet was needed, so had to find some wider sheets. Against the butt joining.  I'd failed to figure out how one mated the sheet and the wing tip triple thickness. I'm guessing now that it went over the extra layers and butt joined the leading edge proper."

One of two of the ribs sit a little high so this gap isn't quite deep enough but perhaps a little filing might sort them out so i can lower them a little so the sheeting sits flush.

The plan calls for the gap between the spars to be left un-covered with cap strips over the ribs but the other guy who built one just said to me in an email that I should sheet the whole wing for strength and that weight isn't that important, he says the heavier the better.    He burst his covering the other day on foliage. 

Perhaps I will sheet the bottom totally and cover the gaps with solar film on the top surface....Or just cover it completely.

I guess that's what you want in a slope soarer, weight, this glider is supposed to be very tail heavy too so getting some weight forwards in the form of useful covering might be better than adding nose weight right?  Also I think it's designed to have an extra removable ballast weight in its belly as an option.

How do you apply sheeting in general anyway?

Which way do I cut the planks, which way should the grain run?  Along the length of the wing or from front to back?

Should I soak the balsa sheets?

:hmm:

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 16:55:29 by Two-Six »

Offline hoverfly

• Quads, lots of quads
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 19:56:39 »
The grain should run along the wing,don't soak the sheeting.
To fix the sheeting glue and pin the rear edge allow to dry then  bend over the ribs towards leading edge after applying  glue to them,pin and allow to dry..
I woulden't sheet the whole wing as if you need to replace wire or servo it would be difficult.. Foliage piercing the covering is unlikely,
If it does its easy to patch.If you are that worried cover in Solartex,its a heavy weight film and hard to pierce.
Solid wingtips are good, after the nose they are the next part to get scraped in a rough landing.

Offline Two-Six

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 23:17:23 »
Maybe I wil just sheet the underside fully and leave the top un sheeted. 

So am I trying to get the sheeting planks to be as long as possible along the wing or should I be cutting them up a bit....I guess I need to see how they fit.

I took of the first wing from the board and am ready to do the 2nd wing now.

Offline hoverfly

• Quads, lots of quads
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 09:30:13 »
I would stick to the plan, the sheeting is the strength of the wing. The sheet should be one piece,tip to root,  i would have finished the first wing before starting on the second  but it's personal choice.
As the sheeting is in two parts it doesn't matter  if they are fitted before or after the wing halves are joined, the wing is too long to do it in one piece..
https://slopesoaringsussex.blogspot.co.uk/p/highside-glider-build.html
A good look at the build pics will give you an idea of how its done, although the mapping pins used in my opinion are far to big the finer the pin the less damage to the frame,some times a dot of super glue inbetween lines of glue can negate the use of pins. I use Superphatic glue as it is easy to apply through the needle applicator and wicks into the joint..

Offline Two-Six

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2017, 20:05:22 »
I have now done both wings and have had a go at shaping the wing tips and fitting the spruce joiners for the two wings.

It looks OK so far, they are both nice and flat and straight and the joins are nice and close. 

I am wondering what glue I should use to stick the end ribs in the middle together with...Epoxy or Aliphatic wood glue or blu tack?? 

I will use the wood glue for the spruce joiners.  Also the plans call for a balsa strip to be glued towards the rear of the wing in the middle over the two halves.  I am thinking about using a strip of thin plywood for extra strength.  Good idea on not?  Perhaps plywood is only as strong at the bond onto the first layer of ply... :hmm:

I haven't done the sheeting yet but this is how it will look.

The wing tips....I think this is going to work, I need to make the tips a little neater still but you can see how I intend to cover them.  The sheeting fits into the ledge in the leading and trailing edge.  I have tried to profile the tips so they match the extended curve of the end rib. 

Also the tips in general will need to be profiled a bit with a curve and I will need to make "end caps" or solid tips. Or I might do as the plan says and make them out of a 6mm balsa sheet..Not sure yet.

Once the wing is sheeted I think I can sand a nice curved profile to the LE and TE and make them all nice and smooth.

So next up is joining the two wings and the sheeting.  Not sure in which order is best, I thought I would go for the joining first, sort out what happens in the middle of the wings in terms of the fixing bolt and fixing plate the dowel pins and then sheet them, top first then bottom.  I should probably to something for the exiting of the servo wires too.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 23:38:13 by Two-Six »

Offline DarrellW

• Site Sponsor
  • Liked: 2377
  • Living on an island!!!
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 05:59:23 »
With joining the wings together you should look at it from the point of view that if you use the weaker material it can act as a 'fuse' if it goes in so it will break where it's easy to fix or make it strong and when you're doing wild aero's the wings ain't gonna flap ::)
Choice is yours!
I think..........I think I am........therefore I am.............I think!

Offline hoverfly

• Quads, lots of quads
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 09:41:30 »
Confused!! i have been thinking when you have been referring to ..wing tips i have been thinking  you were referring to what you call wing  end caps...
Looking good so far , when shaping large areas of balsa its easier to use a mini razor plane to remove the bulk and then finish with sandpaper, it keeps the mess down and inhaling  the dust is not recommended.
.For glue i have always used Superphatic , it wicks into the wood , sets relatively quickly and doesn't go brittle.