User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • hoverfly: Still have a couple of orange tipple batts still working,   mainly part time... ::)
    July 16, 2018, 16:42:16
  • Bad Raven: The difference being most will not deliver the power but wil not be trashed in trying!
    July 16, 2018, 16:12:57
  • Kellarly: hehe, nothing changes there then!
    July 16, 2018, 09:26:19
  • Bad Raven: Is the issue Turnigy or Turnigy Nano-Tech? I have found that mid-blue Turnigy tend to be low on their stated "C" discharge rating.
    July 16, 2018, 08:37:09
  • ched999uk: RaceDayQuads have some cheap but good batts out now. Josh B tested and stats say very good especially at price. HobbyRC have 1300mAh 4S just under £20. Not had luck with Turnigy lipos either!!
    July 15, 2018, 22:48:51
  • Reman: Just realised that I hadn't gone through my stored Li-Po's for about a month. I try to visually check them every Saturday, And prod the plugs with a multimeter about once a month. Todays seen 12 more bulging packs go out to the incinerator..... All but one was a bloody Turnigy! Part of me wan't to burn the rest now and just get a load more Tattu packs, But I've spent good money on these packs and wan't to at least get a little more use out of them. :(
    July 15, 2018, 19:54:53
  • Bad Raven: Pre MR's I used to buy a lot from J.Perkins. Their website showed all items and stock or due date, go to dealer and buy with confidence. Then they went all "lifestyle" and all the site had were pictures or people. I wasn't after people. I never bought again. Yes, you'd think they'd learn...........
    July 15, 2018, 17:51:40
  • ched999uk: Reman sounds like amazon search. I find it ok unitil you want to search by price then amazon falls apart.... You would think both companies would get it right...
    July 15, 2018, 16:54:55
  • Reman: It's strange. The original setup they had about 5 or 6 years back wasn't too bad (Except for them occasionally getting accounts hacked), But they changed it to the last one that was clunky and slow, Now they've replaced that with a flashier one that's also clunky and slow ?!?!?! Most companies learn from what they do wrong. I don't buy from HK half as much as I used to, Mainly because it takes forever to trawl through 100 pages of totally unrelated stuff while looking for something you were thinking about getting when you saw it there the previous week !!!
    July 15, 2018, 16:27:21
  • hoverfly: I don't think there is a search button on H/King. They updated the site and forgot to  relabel the search button with  Random bo##ocks..
    July 15, 2018, 09:47:35
  • Bad Raven: Agree - The Search is abysmal!!
    July 15, 2018, 08:40:52
  • Reman: I see HobbyKing's revamped their site again...... Shame they haven't made the search function work any better, Or worked out why the whole site goes slower than a pensioner in a Nissan Micra. :)
    July 15, 2018, 08:28:14
  • Reman: How thick is Google? You buy something online, Then for the next week you get targeted adds for the item you've just got?!?! That's the one item you're NOT going to be buying again at that point so it's wasted effort of there part. :)
    July 14, 2018, 08:50:51
  • DarkButterfly: ~~
    July 13, 2018, 23:56:20
  • Kellarly: as does my ability not to realise what i've already typed
    July 13, 2018, 22:25:42
  • Kellarly: Wahooo, my whoop now lives!
    July 13, 2018, 22:25:19
  • Kellarly: yay, the whoop lives!!!
    July 13, 2018, 22:18:43
  • DarkButterfly: Had to replace the battery connector
    July 12, 2018, 10:57:47
  • Kellarly: good work! what was up with it?
    July 12, 2018, 10:39:33
  • DarkButterfly: Fixed my tiny6
    July 12, 2018, 10:23:59

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: RunCam Owl2  (Read 222 times)

Offline Bad Raven

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 602
RunCam Owl2
« on: April 15, 2018, 20:23:46 »
Quite a while back now I pressed the button on one of these RunCam Owl2's on super special offer.  My thinking was that it would help on those dull flat days when I find using FPV unexcitingly dull (or frighteningly scary!  :whistling: ). Not that I had a quad to put it on at that time!

Well, it sat in its box untouched and ageing until the other days flying proved that the good old "hack" Nighthawk 280 camera (the original CMOS tat) was just not cutting it when compared to my other better equipped quads. (It hadn't been used much for a while anyway stuck on Baseflight till I managed to get the latest Betaflight successfully into the ancient Skyline32 on its all-in-one board.

So, I decided if the thing had the name "Nighthawk", it might as well try and live up to it, and in the last hour have fitted the Owl2.

JEEEEEZ does it cut through the gloom!!   :o  VERY impressive!  ~~

I have heard that the Owl wasn't that great in full light, but that the Owl2 is better balanced.  I don't care that much about performance in good light, as I won't be using it when the weather is good (if it ever improves   :banghead:).

If anyone is interested I'll come back with a few reports in differing conditions.

Online ched999uk

• Liked: 615
Re: RunCam Owl2
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 21:04:18 »
It's always interesting to see real life use of kit.
A good cam for low light sounds fun.

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 19:36:38 »
Sunny with a few fluffy whites today while at indoor/outdoor location. (12-15mph but who cares)

Outdoor first, and unsurprisingly had to dial the headset brilliance and contrast back significantly as it was bright though not washed out (When fitted on Sun afternoon it had only been tested indoors in unlit home hall and dusk garden, neither actually flown).

In the none too well lit sports hall (flourescents and tiny north facing windows) it worked pretty well without further adjustment, so good I actually flew a few banked turn circuits in a lull when the others in my group were exercising their jaws rather than flying (which is largely the norm for them really, I do a lot of indoor solo flying in a group!!!!!)  :rolleyes:

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 06:45:54 »
Managed an hour and a half yesterday to test it in brilliant sunshine at the club flying field. Near zero wind, and only me and a flying buddy there.................not that I'm complaining!  :rolleyes:

It worked well and I did no further adjustment.

So, so far have not experimented in adjusting the Camera at all, and only carried out minimal adjustment to the Headset for its first daylight try out as above.

I think sharpness can possibly be improved a little with a lens tweak (which I have found quite usual!),  but the contrast and general quality of the image is quite impressive given the wide range of light level it works over.

Certainly not the "this is only good for very low light work" that the Owl (Mk1) got labelled with.

Incidentally, these comments are relevant to the IR Blocked NTSC Owl2 version I have. 

Next update I plan on that old high hours run quad is to update the cheap and now two year old EMax VTX. 

I'm leaving the std EMax motors, etc, as it's my "fast cruiser/mild aero" machine, no pretensions of "race" performance, but on cheap 2200mAh 3S it is managing 8 minutes plus with the screamer balance port alarm set to 3.6v per cell. After my other much more potent quads, its quite a nice feeling to have that length of flight time in pocket.  :smiley: