User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • hoverfly: Still have a couple of orange tipple batts still working,   mainly part time... ::)
    July 16, 2018, 16:42:16
  • Bad Raven: The difference being most will not deliver the power but wil not be trashed in trying!
    July 16, 2018, 16:12:57
  • Kellarly: hehe, nothing changes there then!
    July 16, 2018, 09:26:19
  • Bad Raven: Is the issue Turnigy or Turnigy Nano-Tech? I have found that mid-blue Turnigy tend to be low on their stated "C" discharge rating.
    July 16, 2018, 08:37:09
  • ched999uk: RaceDayQuads have some cheap but good batts out now. Josh B tested and stats say very good especially at price. HobbyRC have 1300mAh 4S just under £20. Not had luck with Turnigy lipos either!!
    July 15, 2018, 22:48:51
  • Reman: Just realised that I hadn't gone through my stored Li-Po's for about a month. I try to visually check them every Saturday, And prod the plugs with a multimeter about once a month. Todays seen 12 more bulging packs go out to the incinerator..... All but one was a bloody Turnigy! Part of me wan't to burn the rest now and just get a load more Tattu packs, But I've spent good money on these packs and wan't to at least get a little more use out of them. :(
    July 15, 2018, 19:54:53
  • Bad Raven: Pre MR's I used to buy a lot from J.Perkins. Their website showed all items and stock or due date, go to dealer and buy with confidence. Then they went all "lifestyle" and all the site had were pictures or people. I wasn't after people. I never bought again. Yes, you'd think they'd learn...........
    July 15, 2018, 17:51:40
  • ched999uk: Reman sounds like amazon search. I find it ok unitil you want to search by price then amazon falls apart.... You would think both companies would get it right...
    July 15, 2018, 16:54:55
  • Reman: It's strange. The original setup they had about 5 or 6 years back wasn't too bad (Except for them occasionally getting accounts hacked), But they changed it to the last one that was clunky and slow, Now they've replaced that with a flashier one that's also clunky and slow ?!?!?! Most companies learn from what they do wrong. I don't buy from HK half as much as I used to, Mainly because it takes forever to trawl through 100 pages of totally unrelated stuff while looking for something you were thinking about getting when you saw it there the previous week !!!
    July 15, 2018, 16:27:21
  • hoverfly: I don't think there is a search button on H/King. They updated the site and forgot to  relabel the search button with  Random bo##ocks..
    July 15, 2018, 09:47:35
  • Bad Raven: Agree - The Search is abysmal!!
    July 15, 2018, 08:40:52
  • Reman: I see HobbyKing's revamped their site again...... Shame they haven't made the search function work any better, Or worked out why the whole site goes slower than a pensioner in a Nissan Micra. :)
    July 15, 2018, 08:28:14
  • Reman: How thick is Google? You buy something online, Then for the next week you get targeted adds for the item you've just got?!?! That's the one item you're NOT going to be buying again at that point so it's wasted effort of there part. :)
    July 14, 2018, 08:50:51
  • DarkButterfly: ~~
    July 13, 2018, 23:56:20
  • Kellarly: as does my ability not to realise what i've already typed
    July 13, 2018, 22:25:42
  • Kellarly: Wahooo, my whoop now lives!
    July 13, 2018, 22:25:19
  • Kellarly: yay, the whoop lives!!!
    July 13, 2018, 22:18:43
  • DarkButterfly: Had to replace the battery connector
    July 12, 2018, 10:57:47
  • Kellarly: good work! what was up with it?
    July 12, 2018, 10:39:33
  • DarkButterfly: Fixed my tiny6
    July 12, 2018, 10:23:59

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Really Really Struggling With Quads Falling From The Sky !!!!!!?????  (Read 2920 times)

Offline atomiclama

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Liked: 780
  • Uhh! What's that then, Oh! new project.
BB is same as before.

When it crashed you were not the closest you have been to that mast, correct? But were closer to the houses.

If you think it is interference try hovering in front of the mast and see what that  does  :evil

Maybe wifi interference from a house? 

Seriously try as I suggested below. Do a range test with the RX out of the quad on a clean supply.
I'm leaning towards electrical noise.
Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Offline atomiclama

I've a spare flysky RX you can have if you go down that route.

Maybe some one could loan you a TX?
Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Offline atomiclama

Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Offline atomiclama

Oooo Oooo

I have a FrSky DHT module that can be plugged into a PPM port if you don't mind hacking about, you would just need to find a RX.
Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Offline aburn09

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 74
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
Now about to go back to another playing field I have used before about 15 miles away from where I am now but I did try that a few weeks ago with the same results this time I'll fly both yellow an orange five inches and bb and video so again someone might see something I can't ? (So we can rule out interference)

Offline hoverfly

• Liked: 1113
  • Quads, lots of quads
I had just read through the post from start to finish. All the reasons i come up with have been covered.
Your persistence  is legendary. Hope the new playing fields throws up some evidence. ~~
Reptile folder , alien 500 , F/ Shark Attitudes,
 .Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...
Massive over draught.....

Offline aburn09

May have a breakthrough........Just got back from the other playing feild i very occasionally use and my orange 5 inch flew first battery with no issues.... so I tried my yellow 5 inch and down it came after about 1 minute of flight  :banghead:
So tried my Orange 5 inch again which flew with no issues again !! I flew four other batteries with the orange and towards the end my confidence had started to come back as the quad stayed airbourne  :frantic:
I then got both my 2 inch quads out and was ripping them through the goalposts nearby (damm they are fast and fun) I used all four batteries I have for them again with no failsafe's !!
Conclusion the yellow quad I still think I have a dodgy receiver in it and am waiting on a Lemon diversity receiver before I can completely comment but I'm now thinking there is a signal interference at my usual playing feild as I can barely fly one battery before I get a disarm whereas the flying feild which unfortunately is 15 miles away apart from the yellow 5 inch I had no issues at all......So i do think that either of those two phone masts or something else that's recently been installed near my flying feild is definately bringing my quads down ??
I will find another feild and test my latest theory but fingers crossed I may have finally found my answer ?  :hmm:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 16:21:09 by aburn09 »

Offline mo_miah

• Liked: 62
does sound like RF noise then
can the spektrum gear have its firmware updated like Frsky?

saw a video by Mr Steele and why he uses TBS crossfire even for shortrange flights, he had a failsafe while diving a building but managed to recover while freefalling, luckily these was nothing below where the quad would have hit the ground, but since then he uses crossfire
tbh the price of crossfire receivers aint too bad

Offline aburn09

Just to prove they do fly I've included the orange 5 inch and the red two inch blowing off cobwebs.......Excuse my rusty flying but  after nearly five months of non flying it's going to take a few more flights to start to get back into it.....assuming there are no more disarms !!
 :rolleyes:

Offline aburn09

So just when I thought that changing flying sites 15 miles away was the answer to my problems this happens 3 different quads 3 different rx's yet same outcome !! Haven't got any BB recording this time though  :banghead:
I had flown these three quads just before with no issues but then down they come again  :cry

Offline atomiclama

Re: Really Really Struggling With Quads Falling From The Sky !!!!!!?????
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2018, 21:55:51 »
All I can see is on the 3rd video just before it falls from the sky the video feed goes a bit shitty.

Coincidence  :shrug:
Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Offline ched999uk

• Liked: 615
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2018, 22:06:09 »
OK so I know the tx has been checked but that is the only common thing with those 2 quads?
Seems mad as you tried your mates tx at your usual location and still disarm!

Only thing I can think of is different tx and protocol. Get a cheapy FlySky tx/rx and give it a try. You can always sell it on if it does the same but if not you have a cheap tx to use on quads and you can keep the AirWolf on the Spektrum.

Offline trebor

• Old boy
  • Liked: 122
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2018, 22:47:59 »
You still using those remotes ?

Offline aburn09

« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2018, 05:48:26 »
Trebor I have four main quads two 5 inch and two 2inch they all have different rx's in them one has an orange dsmx satellite receiver one has a Spektrum 9645 dsmx satellite receiver one has a Lemon diversity quadcopter receiver and the other now has the expensive Spektrum 4649t quadcopter receiver but they all fall out of the sky for no reason and my flying site has changed to rule out interference and I've borrowed a friends Spektrum DX9 TX ?
Ched99uk I think as much as I feel I'm giving up on this and there has to be a logical explanation but if I were reading this thread that someone had written and would be saying the Spektrum DX9 transmitter is the culprit as it's the only common link even though it's been sent away for repair maybe it has a intermittent fault ? Although my freinds tx did the same at my original flying site but I'm still weary of those two mobile masts there........I'll try his tx over the new flying site to see what happens ? But I am seriously now looking at the FrSky Taranis X9D Special Edition  :cry
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 06:42:12 by aburn09 »

Offline Gavster29

• Liked: 46
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2018, 07:34:52 »
Trebor I have four main quads two 5 inch and two 2inch they all have different rx's in them one has an orange dsmx satellite receiver one has a Spektrum 9645 dsmx satellite receiver one has a Lemon diversity quadcopter receiver and the other now has the expensive Spektrum 4649t quadcopter receiver but they all fall out of the sky for no reason and my flying site has changed to rule out interference and I've borrowed a friends Spektrum DX9 TX ?
Ched99uk I think as much as I feel I'm giving up on this and there has to be a logical explanation but if I were reading this thread that someone had written and would be saying the Spektrum DX9 transmitter is the culprit as it's the only common link even though it's been sent away for repair maybe it has a intermittent fault ? Although my freinds tx did the same at my original flying site but I'm still weary of those two mobile masts there........I'll try his tx over the new flying site to see what happens ? But I am seriously now looking at the FrSky Taranis X9D Special Edition  :cry

I would also say everything points logically to the transmitter, you say you borrowed your friends TX. Are they both on transmitters on the same firmware? does he fly quads with it?

I don't know much about Spectrum my friend has a few radios but he only flys with the camera style drones which isn't really my thing.

Now there should be no issue flying Spectrum on a Quad but for some reason it is not the go to radio in the quad world, do you know anyone who has a setup you can try out before investing in another radio?

Offline mo_miah

« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2018, 09:02:16 »
I got the taranis x9d special edition, its a great radio
my flying atm is rubbish but i'm willing to learn and improve so its the only radio i'll ever need
opentx is great for setting up your switches
and Joshua Bardwell has many videos on youtube about setting the radio up for different things
its also compatible with tbs crossfire (the qx7 needs to be modded first) for long range flying

Offline aburn09

« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2018, 10:51:44 »
Frustratingly I've taken my tx and my friends tx back to the latest flying feild that yesterday I was having problems with and I flew 4 batteries through his tx with no problems so I tried my tx and flew 5 batteries through it with again no problems ????? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
This is soooooo frustrating as I can't prove that anything is wrong with my tx  :banghead:
Another clutching at straws theory is at the new flying site the are two phone masts that are visible but alot further away than the ones at my old flying feild I would say about at least half a mile away now I was told rightly or wrongly these masts aren't always are full power it's a supply and demand thing ? Which maybe yesterday they were at full power while I was flying around lunchtime and early this morning they weren't ?
Like I said 'really ' clutching at straws now  :-/

Offline Tryingto

• Liked: 106
« Reply #107 on: April 19, 2018, 11:08:10 »
What does your Betaflight failsafe settings look like? Could be its set to disarm on failsafe and it failsafes for a split second but its enough to lock you out. Normally you hold for half a second for first phase and second phase is disarm in case it was a split second.

Offline Gavster29

• Liked: 46
« Reply #108 on: April 19, 2018, 11:10:26 »
Just thinking out loud here,

What if the Spectrum frequencies are indeed a close match to the masts, it could be that only Spectrum TX/RX are affected, in theory it may be possible to fly with a different radio and it may be different enough to not interfere?

When you fly your heli are you flying at a different location to the 2 with the quad?

Offline mo_miah

« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2018, 11:16:17 »
when it failsafes, try disarming and rearming quickly and see if you can carry on flying
i saw a video by Mr Steele talking about failsafes, Frsky on betaflight automatically reconnects if there is a temporary failsafe
other tx/rx combos like spektrum lock you out so need to disarm/rearm very quickly and throttle up before you hit the quad

Offline Tryingto

• Liked: 106
« Reply #110 on: April 19, 2018, 11:39:03 »
when it failsafes, try disarming and rearming quickly and see if you can carry on flying
i saw a video by Mr Steele talking about failsafes, Frsky on betaflight automatically reconnects if there is a temporary failsafe
other tx/rx combos like spektrum lock you out so need to disarm/rearm very quickly and throttle up before you hit the quad

Hel need to adjust his arm angle options. Wont let you arm if its at a funny angle.

Offline atomiclama

« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2018, 11:39:56 »
What does your Betaflight failsafe settings look like? Could be its set to disarm on failsafe and it failsafes for a split second but its enough to lock you out. Normally you hold for half a second for first phase and second phase is disarm in case it was a split second.

When I looked at the logs it showed that the RX outputted a fixed signal for a period then stopped outputting anything which then looked like the failsafe and FC disarmed. I doubt increasing the time window would help but might be worth a try.

Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Offline aburn09

« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2018, 11:41:16 »
'Tryingto' my failsafe/disarm is whatever the betaflight stock settings are I have tried to increase them by a half but that made no difference and it's getting risky to try higher settings.......
'Gavstar29' the Airwolf heli has not been affected thankfully I'd be inconsolable if it was with the time and effort I've put into it but I think it's a distance thing as I fly that line of site so generally no more than 80 meters or nearer also that has a main receiver and a satellite receiver in it so that will unlikely to ever suffer from a signal failure (fingers crossed).
'Mo_miah' it happens so quickly and I'm usually not high enough to have the time to disarm/arm the tx switch ....... but I'll try if I get more than 2 seconds of fall time  :cry
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:51:00 by aburn09 »

Offline hoverfly

• Liked: 1113
  • Quads, lots of quads
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2018, 14:58:55 »
Ok wild last shot , try reloading the Spektrum firmware if that fails  then  collect you medal for infinite patience/ perseverance. and get a Taranis..... (can't believe i said that) :embarrassed :embarrassed :embarrassed
My DX8 reserve t/x packed up a few weeks back so  i bit the bullet and got a Taranis... :embarrassed  i'm still using a DX 9 as main t/x but i will be migrating the quads over to the Taranis. The DX9 will be kept for planks /wings.
Reptile folder , alien 500 , F/ Shark Attitudes,
 .Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...
Massive over draught.....

Offline aburn09

« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2018, 19:29:38 »
'hoverfly' I think five months of persistence is defiantly award winning and I hate giving up but what else can I try ??
I think I've tried every obvious solution and every weird and wonderful other solution but with no real end result a Frsky Taranis seems to be inevitable ?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 20:14:14 by aburn09 »

Offline ched999uk

• Liked: 615
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2018, 20:08:19 »
'hoverfly' I think five months of persistence is defiantly award winning and I hate giving up but what else can I try ??
I think I've tried every obvious solution and every weird and wonderful other solution but with no real end result so a Frsky Taranis seems to be inevitable ?
You certainly have been persistent and well done for keeping going. A Taranis is a real quality bit of kit but there is no certainty that it will cure the issue.
I am always on a budget so a FlySky i6 for about £35 inc rx would be my try as if it doesn't work you can sell it on for not much loss or just keep it as a backup? If it does work then you can flash it to 14channels, get a x6b tx which does voltage telemetry and a loopback rssi, you can also set alarms on the tx like voltage and time.

Offline mo_miah

« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2018, 11:55:33 »
any update on this issue?

Offline aburn09

This is the last time I will ask someone with BB flight recorder knowledge to look at these three recordings.......Two are from my Yellow 5 inch quad which I forgot to video record and the other is from my Orange 5 inch quad with video recording.
This was at yet another different open field with no obstructions and within 160 meters from me.......The orange quad has the expensive Spektrum £40 telemetry rx which relays rssi back to the tx but as usual there were no warnings of a signal issue before it disarmed/failsafes :banghead:
I'm going to contact the model shop who took a look at my tx before just to see if they have any other explanations as to what's happening and if there are no other theories then I'll have to send it to Spektrum themselves which their European base is in Germany  :banghead: :banghead:
But it has to be the tx.........In the meantime I think I'll have to get the FrSky Taranis X9D Plus Special Edition as my confidence in flying now after 20 years of no problems is at a all time low knowing that everytime I take off i'm expecting the quads to disarm/failsafe so I'm literally creeping around waiting for the inevitable  :cry

https://www.dropbox.com/s/56bc89n6e28erq6/Yellow%201.BFL?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g169ph8fotu7l04/Yellow%202.BFL?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8e6agwhw7lam1o/Orange%201.BFL?dl=0

Offline mo_miah

sorry to hear you're still having issues
you will not be disappointed with the x9d+ SE, i love mine

Offline aburn09

Yes mo i know you love yours and i personally don't see any other option now as I'm 99% it has to be the tx even though the hobby shop i sent them too can't find a fault (it must be intermittent) it's just weird (fingers crossed) it doesn't effect the helicopter as sometimes the quads disarm within the range I fly my helicopter ?
Like I said I'll phone them one last time also contact Spektrum again to arrange for them to be sent to Germany !!  :banghead:
But hopefully someone might see something in the BB recordings other than a disarm ?
And in the meantime I'm going to do alot of review and set up videos on the Tranis before I make the move away from Spektrum  :cry
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 09:35:22 by aburn09 »