User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Stactix: Diatone gt200s is nice, not flown mine much one of the connectors on the board stopped working so soldered the vtx power/gnd to the tiny pads infront. but now no osd :( Was great once I got it in the air!
    April 26, 2018, 19:23:39
  • mo_miah: the new diatone gt series is amazing, the frames look great and the reviews by AndyRC on youtube are great, i really want the gt-m3
    April 26, 2018, 15:17:27
  • VaNDAL_UK: LOL.. Neither am I Couldn't resit £160 with priority delivery. Looks like I'll be puffing all my batteries with this thing
    April 26, 2018, 14:23:45
  • Bajadre: HF tie your arms behind your back but youll prob headbutt the keyboard and rorder some goodies haha
    April 26, 2018, 14:14:41
  • VaNDAL_UK: complete unit. in titanium
    April 26, 2018, 12:01:46
  • hoverfly: Not allowed to look at Bangood web site in case there is an "accident".... ::)
    April 26, 2018, 09:17:50
  • Bad Raven: Guys, REALLY?? Look at the bangood website, its a complete unit!!!
    April 26, 2018, 08:01:32
  • Bajadre: wow bit of a price difference there bud or is the 160 one prebuilt and not just the frame?
    April 26, 2018, 07:45:35
  • DarkButterfly: :laugh: HF
    April 25, 2018, 16:06:31
  • hoverfly: oops!!!              [link]
    April 25, 2018, 15:57:53
  • VaNDAL_UK: Ohhh Shi#!!! Just pushed the button on a Diatone GT200S for £160 Bangood!
    April 25, 2018, 15:48:38
  • hoverfly: Massive thunder storm going on ... hail the size of baked beans... I think it's taking the paint off the car... :angry:
    April 25, 2018, 14:57:21
  • mo_miah: fatshark do the hd3 core which is decent price or HK have the dom v3 for 210ish
    April 25, 2018, 09:59:11
  • Bajadre: bought a set of those box googles bro but it aint the same get heavy after awhile and cants troll in the shop with them on head look like something from 80s dr who haha
    April 24, 2018, 21:05:49
  • mo_miah: @Bajadre - what are you using atm?
    April 24, 2018, 08:54:00
  • Bajadre: Enjoy mo there great!! wish i woulnt of sold mine now :(
    April 23, 2018, 17:58:11
  • Andy7: Nice!
    April 23, 2018, 15:32:12
  • mo_miah: im buzzing for tomorrow, fatsharks have been posted and coming straight to work
    April 23, 2018, 14:45:19
  • atomiclama: ~~
    April 23, 2018, 12:08:27
  • Wyntrblue: so far its a good monday, just won a babyhawk r from makeitbuildit :D
    April 23, 2018, 11:30:38

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Armattan Rooster 5 inch Raceflight  (Read 514 times)

Offline Elmattbo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 227
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
    • Youtube
Armattan Rooster 5 inch Raceflight
« on: March 22, 2018, 16:53:49 »
I’m in the process of putting together an armattan rooster with raceflight and thought I’d share some aspects of the build.

It’s a bit of a bodge together of spares I already have lying around:
Armattan rooster 5 inch frame
foxeer arrow v2 (v3 case on order)
Matek vtx with tramp telemetry control
Raceflight revolt
Raceflight bolt 4 in 1 esc
Brotherhobby tornado t2 2205 2600kv
Hq 5x4.3x3 v1s
Frsky xsr
GoPro hero 5 session

First problem was getting the fpv camera to fit. I wanted to use a caddx but it’s the wrong form factor; I need the hs1177 size case but with 3 mounting holes. To get around this I’m using a foxeer arrow v2 but have ordered a v3 case. Having said that it’s a really snug fit and it’s not going to move! I’m actually more concerned about light leaks from a deformed case.

Second problem was the bolt all in 1 esc, it won’t fit in the conventional sense because of the front and rear carbon fibre braces between the arms. I’ve rotated it 180 degrees and swapped the motor assignments round on the cables so hopefully that will be ok.

More to follow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Elmattbo

• Youtube
Re: Armattan Rooster 5 inch Raceflight
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 20:29:21 »

Buzzer and camera wiring threading between the boards. Power wires in place for vtx and cap. The F.C. and esc connect using a jst plug and even though I’ve reversed the esc there’s no need to rewire - the software set up detects it apparently! Next up is vtx and rx positioning. There’s not a lot of space and nowhere obvious to mount them though!

Offline Elmattbo

• Youtube
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 23:05:25 »

Starting to get a little cramped in there! Large cap fed between the boards and fits nicely behind fpv cam above the buzzer. All wiring and conformal coating done. Just a dab of hot glue to go on the power leads in case they come away from the board in a crash - I always do this, it saves the battery from short to itself or any of the components.

Offline Elmattbo

• Youtube
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 23:12:49 »

Not enough room for the matek vtx! I’ve switched to a tbs unify pro 5g8, much smaller and fits neatly on the back of the xsr. I damaged the pins inside the connector of the unify pro previously, so i solder directly to the pads on the side of the vtx. They’re not well known about and are tiny, but they can be handy!

I’ve also put the top plate on to see how it all fits and with a GoPro mounted I will be struggling for space for the battery and xt60 pigtail. Fortunately I think a longer pigtail will solve the problem but it is really tight for space!

Also the battery strap will be touching the top of the F.C. which isn’t ideal. I can create more space by leaving out the cf bracing plates between the arms (armattan say this is ok) but I’d like to avoid that if I can. I may add a spacer bolt to raise the top plate slightly. Other 4 in 1 esc’s shouldn’t have this problem as they won’t hit the F.C. plates and can be mounted lower.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 00:05:54 by Elmattbo »

Offline Cheredanine

• Liked: 972
  • Everything you have been told is a lie
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 23:30:36 »
Raceflight is an interesting choice mate, you flown it yet?

Offline Elmattbo

• Youtube
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 15:01:37 »
Raceflight is an interesting choice mate, you flown it yet?

I tried it on someone else’s quad and it is different, but that could be down to a different tune/filters. I liked it anyway and I was given the board and esc as a freebie so thought I’d give it a go.

The esc is huge, it’s not going to fit easily in a lot of frames which made the stack higher and a bit of head scratching to get it to fit. The rf gui is excellent though, by far the easiest quad set up I’ve done since openpilot!

The frame is great though, of the quality you’d expect but will only easily fit small electronics so worth considering that for anyone planning a build.

Maiden on hold - one of my motors is dead!

Offline Cheredanine

• Liked: 972
  • Everything you have been told is a lie
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 15:18:03 »
Yeah rooster frame is great when it works, there have been repeated quality control/tolerance issues though, I think I would go for a chameleon ti if I was in the market.

So reason I asked about raceflight is I have 3 air ro that are almost identicle, the difference is the flight stack, I tried raceflight (millivolt) betaflight (hglrc) and betaflight/buttefllight (hglrc)
I would say that feel, which I agree with you on, is entirely down to the Kalman filters, I can get exactly the same thing from betaflight and then butterflight with FKF

I would also add, raceflight is dead easy to set up BUT, it is a bitch to tune if it isn’t right, because my air ro are not your average 5 inch but overpered lightweight 4 inch, it took a lot of time on slack working with devs to get filter settings even remotely close

I would also add getting the last 10% or so spot on with rf of bf/FKF is a swine.

Offline Elmattbo

• Youtube
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 21:21:57 »
Mine went together fine although I haven’t flown it yet. I noticed they duplicated the flat head bolts with black steel ones and I can tell why; it’s very easy to strip them if you’re not careful.

I’m also not entirely sure about the arm mounting, it’s just 2 screws per arm with a carbon fibre brace between. Because it’s a H frame you can’t interlock the arms in the middle but I thought there would be at least a 3rd screw or a washer to distribute the load around the screw head.

Offline Elmattbo

• Youtube
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 16:53:33 »

Well the foxeer arrow v3 case arrived which fits perfectly in the frame (the v2 is slightly too wide). Just waiting on the motor though and then I’ll finally get to maiden it!

Offline Elmattbo

• Youtube
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 10:28:24 »
Maidened! All stock raceflight (FlightOne!) using the blackbird pids and acro rates. Flew really well, just need to sort out my telemetry and figure out why the buzzer is beeping all the time!

Short video clip on my Instagram

Offline Elmattbo

• Youtube
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 10:32:26 »
I should also add that when I installed the motor I did a bit of tinkering to try and create more space. I tried fitting the unify pro vtx beneath the esc but couldn’t get it to fit (although anyone using a standard 6mm standoff will have no issue). Instead, I’ve swapped the esc layer and F.C. around, so the F.C. is on the bottom. It’s unconventional, but it uses the space better and the battery strap now isn’t brushing the F.C. and being a possible source of vibration.

Flies fine anyway!

Offline mo_miah

• Liked: 33
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 10:38:47 »
nice flying, need the weather to pick up so i can get out
can't help with the buzzer issue, im useless at setting up FCs
took me forever just to get the motor arm switch working lol

Offline Jakalas

• Liked: 47
  • Have you FPV'ed today?
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 16:01:05 »
I would highly recommend using the black steel screws on the arms. They lock the arms down completely with no movement / slop.
The stainless steel ones are extremely soft, and it did not take me long to snap one and bend the second one on a arm, in a crash. Needles to say it destroyed the mounting brace and the arm slot that slides over the titanium cage.

Offline Elmattbo

• Youtube
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 22:42:25 »
I would highly recommend using the black steel screws on the arms. They lock the arms down completely with no movement / slop.
The stainless steel ones are extremely soft, and it did not take me long to snap one and bend the second one on a arm, in a crash. Needles to say it destroyed the mounting brace and the arm slot that slides over the titanium cage.

That’s a good tip thanks! I had another battery yesterday but haven’t crashed it yet. Frankly I’ve almost forgotten how to fly, I’ve done so little lately.