User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • hoverfly: Still have a couple of orange tipple batts still working,   mainly part time... ::)
    July 16, 2018, 16:42:16
  • Bad Raven: The difference being most will not deliver the power but wil not be trashed in trying!
    July 16, 2018, 16:12:57
  • Kellarly: hehe, nothing changes there then!
    July 16, 2018, 09:26:19
  • Bad Raven: Is the issue Turnigy or Turnigy Nano-Tech? I have found that mid-blue Turnigy tend to be low on their stated "C" discharge rating.
    July 16, 2018, 08:37:09
  • ched999uk: RaceDayQuads have some cheap but good batts out now. Josh B tested and stats say very good especially at price. HobbyRC have 1300mAh 4S just under £20. Not had luck with Turnigy lipos either!!
    July 15, 2018, 22:48:51
  • Reman: Just realised that I hadn't gone through my stored Li-Po's for about a month. I try to visually check them every Saturday, And prod the plugs with a multimeter about once a month. Todays seen 12 more bulging packs go out to the incinerator..... All but one was a bloody Turnigy! Part of me wan't to burn the rest now and just get a load more Tattu packs, But I've spent good money on these packs and wan't to at least get a little more use out of them. :(
    July 15, 2018, 19:54:53
  • Bad Raven: Pre MR's I used to buy a lot from J.Perkins. Their website showed all items and stock or due date, go to dealer and buy with confidence. Then they went all "lifestyle" and all the site had were pictures or people. I wasn't after people. I never bought again. Yes, you'd think they'd learn...........
    July 15, 2018, 17:51:40
  • ched999uk: Reman sounds like amazon search. I find it ok unitil you want to search by price then amazon falls apart.... You would think both companies would get it right...
    July 15, 2018, 16:54:55
  • Reman: It's strange. The original setup they had about 5 or 6 years back wasn't too bad (Except for them occasionally getting accounts hacked), But they changed it to the last one that was clunky and slow, Now they've replaced that with a flashier one that's also clunky and slow ?!?!?! Most companies learn from what they do wrong. I don't buy from HK half as much as I used to, Mainly because it takes forever to trawl through 100 pages of totally unrelated stuff while looking for something you were thinking about getting when you saw it there the previous week !!!
    July 15, 2018, 16:27:21
  • hoverfly: I don't think there is a search button on H/King. They updated the site and forgot to  relabel the search button with  Random bo##ocks..
    July 15, 2018, 09:47:35
  • Bad Raven: Agree - The Search is abysmal!!
    July 15, 2018, 08:40:52
  • Reman: I see HobbyKing's revamped their site again...... Shame they haven't made the search function work any better, Or worked out why the whole site goes slower than a pensioner in a Nissan Micra. :)
    July 15, 2018, 08:28:14
  • Reman: How thick is Google? You buy something online, Then for the next week you get targeted adds for the item you've just got?!?! That's the one item you're NOT going to be buying again at that point so it's wasted effort of there part. :)
    July 14, 2018, 08:50:51
  • DarkButterfly: ~~
    July 13, 2018, 23:56:20
  • Kellarly: as does my ability not to realise what i've already typed
    July 13, 2018, 22:25:42
  • Kellarly: Wahooo, my whoop now lives!
    July 13, 2018, 22:25:19
  • Kellarly: yay, the whoop lives!!!
    July 13, 2018, 22:18:43
  • DarkButterfly: Had to replace the battery connector
    July 12, 2018, 10:57:47
  • Kellarly: good work! what was up with it?
    July 12, 2018, 10:39:33
  • DarkButterfly: Fixed my tiny6
    July 12, 2018, 10:23:59

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Full circle back to a nitro heli  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Gav

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Liked: 775
  • quadtastic
    • 5.8GHz FPV Antenna FORSALE
Full circle back to a nitro heli
« on: March 17, 2018, 17:19:55 »
After 10 years away from nitro Helicopters, I've got the urge again. I blame Rammylad.
Anyway, recently picked up an unfinished Thunder Tiger Raptor 30v2 kit and spent the last weeks worth of evenings tinkering away on it.  Its a bit old fashioned like me, but I like it.

It's got a TT39 engine and I've bought some modeltechnics Bekra 16% nitro fuel for its initial flights.
Slung in a bunch of futaba 3010servos, gy401 gyro and S9253 tail servo, a remote glow starter and a fr sky receiver.  So heat the glow plug on a push button or assign to a channel. The head is an upgrade from the stock kit rotor head. Underslung flybar rotor head upgrade.
Its all ready to go.  Was hoping to maiden it today but winter returned and snowed.
Engine is running sweet but need a propper maiden to tweak up the settings n adjust the throttle n pitch curves.
Was good to program up a Taranis on a heli for a change. 

Couple of pics.

Offline ched999uk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 615
Re: Full circle back to a nitro heli
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 18:38:13 »
That rotor head looks lovely  :smiley:
It looks great, I would be scared stiff to start it up let alone try and takeoff.
Do you fly los or fpv?
Good Luck and dont forget the footage.

Offline Gav

• Site Sponsor
  • quadtastic
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 21:03:32 »
That rotor head looks lovely  :smiley:
It looks great, I would be scared stiff to start it up let alone try and takeoff.
Do you fly los or fpv?
Good Luck and dont forget the footage.
Oh no this will be LOS matey.
Might hang a cam on it, just for fun later on.
Just after some traditional LOS flying and heli tinkering.

Will post a vid, as and when.

Offline Two-Six

• Liked: 355
  • Have I had my biscuites yet?
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 00:47:57 »
That's a pretty tidy Raptor, it looks almost new.
FPV in a helicopter would be really nice to do but the chance of breaking is a bit too high for me to try it with my ones.
Putting a camera behind the rotor head so you see the swash plate working does make an interesting video.
Nighthawk Pro, Trex 450 L Dominator 6 cell *FLOWN*, Blade 450-3D, MCPX-BL, MCPX-V2, Hubsan X4, Seagull Boomerang IC .40 trainer, HK Bixler, AXN Clouds fly,, Spektrum DX7, Taranis, AccuRC

Offline apollo7

• Liked: 696
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 07:46:21 »
Looks a really nice Heli, this is one area of model flying i will not venture, but as youhave been there before you will be fine with it
DJI P3......home build AQ600....Ranger 1600...2x Wing wing Z84....Wildthing 46 in build
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground

Offline Bad Raven

• Liked: 602
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 07:55:06 »
Nice.

I settled on Hirobo Helis, initially by chance, then after realising just how robust and quality made they were.  Have flown a Raptor but not owned one.

Last year, getting to grips with freestyle quads meant they saw little use.

Despite the numbers I have and the use, several long sessions per week for four years or so, I never had to replace a part through wear.

I use the TT Redline 53 in my Sceadu, of which I have four and a spare boxed engine waiting in case (not needed so far!!) They run 20 - 25% normally. I run the TT tuned pipe which is actually very quiet.

One is converted to flybarless with flybarless blades (essential!), clone Align parts and a cheap CopterX three axis gyro, though I actually prefer the looser feel of flybar.

I had a Freya with competition OS black head 91 but got fed up with the need to preheat the engine to be able to turn it over let alone start it and went to a plain old 70!  (Takes a lot to stall a Dynatron on 24v!!!!)

Current count 1 Freya, 2 TRex 600 (one bodied), 4 Sceadu, probably could make 10 Shuttles out of parts but 6 assembled, three bodied.  Lots of smaller, but won't list.

If you do get back into it big time have a look at the Shuttle, bog std appearance is naff, very "old fashioned"", but they are super robust and cheap secondhand.
Fitting low skids and a modern canopy transforms their appearance and they fly supremely well, full aero with an OS 37 and the fuel lasts "forever"!!  ~~ 

Keep us informed on how its going. Mine will be coming out again this year as soon as the weather improves so handling fuel and starting is not a pain!!

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 08:59:02 »
Since rotor heads were mentioned..................

I picked this up on EBay poss eight plus years ago from the wilds of Scotland RTF right receiver (FASST) but no transmitter for no more than a std composite headed Sceadu. Suppose nobody else woiuld risk the carriage (he packed it in popcorn!!!) The price of the metal parts in view was at the time over £600, I paid £350 for the complete Heli inc Redline 53, top of range Futaba tail Gyro, top of range Futaba digital servos, etc.

Frankly, apart from the bling, it wasn't worth the guys money changing it all. The std Sceadu flew (and my others fly) perfectly well, and I'm sure this copies to the Raptor.  If you get it for about the same, fine, but anyone thinking metal rules and pays lots more for it is in for a shock.

Can I tell the difference when flying them back to back, metal to composite?  Only with a slight difference to the tail (also all metal), as there is SLIGHTLY less play.

Slightly less on topic, I bought a steal of a "Blade 130X" which had had EVERYTHING changed apart from the servos and main board, and I do mean everything, at enormous initial cost.  My well set up bog std one flew better!!  The metal tail in particular had more play due rubbish design (MicroHeli) and I reverted it to composite after a couple of weeks of trying to get it even as good!!

Back to topic, I'll be interested in how that TT engine performs as I'd like to "super power" one of my Shuttle mechs just to see others faces.

Gav, once you tune your Raptor in I'd be very interested to see it's .eepe sometime please. I have retained my flybar fleet on my Futaba CG10 FASST (as its doing little else now and is superbly easy to set up!) but would like to put one over to the Horus on OpenTX just to see how it would relate.

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 09:11:02 »
Watching your video, the best Mod you could do would be to tail boom mount the tail servo with carbon rod or at least stiffer wire drive.

I did this with a couple of my Shuttles (the Sceadu has tail mount as std) and it was quite noticeably an improvement, removing all the spring play in the longer link (should esp improve the design on yours as it has a pronounced kink offset from the boom to the frame line which will flex/spring under load, so well worth contemplating.

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 09:17:21 »
Might hang a cam on it, just for fun later on.

I tried that in the early days of small cameras with a Flycamone.............. got horrendous Jello!  Not tried again since!!  Give it a go!!!

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 09:36:10 »
The GY401 deserves some comment.

Its a VERY good gyro. As long as you remember to always boot up in Heading Hold first even if flying in Rate. Also set the end points on the gyro adjust and not the Tx, or you will likely lose resolution.  (I expect you well know this but after ten years it might have faded!!)

Despite some of mine having 501 and 601 set ups when bought (One with its dedicated tail servo cost new nearly £400!!!!), the difference is SOOO small as to be very ineffective cost wise.

To anyone buying, there are clones around. The way to tell the difference is that a clone has silver coloured connector metal as tinned, the genuine 401 has gold plated.

Offline Gav

• Site Sponsor
  • quadtastic
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 10:17:42 »
Watching your video, the best Mod you could do would be to tail boom mount the tail servo with carbon rod or at least stiffer wire drive.

I did this with a couple of my Shuttles (the Sceadu has tail mount as std) and it was quite noticeably an improvement, removing all the spring play in the longer link (should esp improve the design on yours as it has a pronounced kink offset from the boom to the frame line which will flex/spring under load, so well worth contemplating.

Hi Matey,
yeah I was looking at that mod but another 25 quid for the pleasure.  I was looking to make this exercise as cost effective as possible -but I never learn, as you always end up buying more mods that you originally wanted to at the beginning.

I also did the tail mounted servo on a Shuttle +2 I had.   I want to maiden this with the conventional tail servo mount first - just to see how much spring is introduced in that 'kink'

cheers
Gav

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 14:14:37 »
yeah I was looking at that mod but another 25 quid for the pleasure.  I was looking to make this exercise as cost effective as possible -but I never learn, as you always end up buying more mods that you originally wanted to at the beginning

Yup, cash runaway is a challenge!!  ;)

A while back I made a Shuttle tail mount from a black nylon Futaba servo mount which IIRC was cut from a triple one, the common one where there are two servos inline and one crossways, though any servo mount would prob do.  I made the straps from bendy aluminium sheet offcut and the clamp screws were normal plated steel with nylocks, cost near nil. I dremelled the existing tail rod to length with a few circles of minimal grind to get a bond and then epoxied on a ball joint. Cost near nil.

Offline Gav

• Site Sponsor
  • quadtastic
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 14:03:00 »
That's a pretty tidy Raptor, it looks almost new.
FPV in a helicopter would be really nice to do but the chance of breaking is a bit too high for me to try it with my ones.
Putting a camera behind the rotor head so you see the swash plate working does make an interesting video.
Oh mate, got the T-shirt already 10 years ago lol.

I was still learning to fly back then and had only a rate gyro at the time. ( not a head hold )
I used a flycamone (who remembers them?) I wired up a servo to change the camera angle in flight ....on later flights with this heli.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 18:01:13 by Gav »

Offline Two-Six

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 17:25:07 »
Nice! 

A bit wobbly.

Its was like...OMG its gonna blow!  :frantic:

I do like the ripping air wacka wacka sounds you get with helicopters too.

I am sure with modern cameras a video like that would be really good to watch.  Once I get my helicoptering thumbs warmed up in I might give it a go on one of mine. 
Nighthawk Pro, Trex 450 L Dominator 6 cell *FLOWN*, Blade 450-3D, MCPX-BL, MCPX-V2, Hubsan X4, Seagull Boomerang IC .40 trainer, HK Bixler, AXN Clouds fly,, Spektrum DX7, Taranis, AccuRC

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 17:46:05 »
I usef a flycamone (who remembers them?)

Flycamone....................... shudders......................   :sick:

Offline Two-Six

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 17:57:59 »
Yay! fly it like ya stole it!

Bit of a scary moment a 2:30 and I thought the engine was gonna stop at 4:30, what a roller-coaster ride!

~~

Offline hoverfly

• Liked: 1113
  • Quads, lots of quads
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 18:05:10 »
The dreaded  flycam one, mine is still missing in action all i have left is the aux power mount and remote switch.. :cry
Reptile folder , alien 500 , F/ Shark Attitudes,
 .Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...
Massive over draught.....

Offline Gav

• Site Sponsor
  • quadtastic
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2018, 22:52:10 »
Finally got to maiden the heli:

Offline Gaza07

• Administrator
  • Liked: 729
    • Multi Rotor UK
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 11:00:01 »
Very nice Gav you must be pleased  ~~
So you walked down to the patch and set ya camera up to video your self walking down there and then left it to walk back  :rolleyes: and then had to go back to fetch it, pure dedication  :cool:

Offline Two-Six

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 12:27:42 »
Nice!  Not sure about the music, it was good when it stopped :-)  I do like to hear the noise helicopters make more than listen to music, I liked the bit at the end as the rotors spin down.  That walking away shot was awesome, right off into the distance.

That's dedication alright.

Offline ched999uk

• Liked: 615
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2018, 15:26:45 »
You made that look so easy! I have a slight clue how difficult but only a sight one. Never had enough bottle to actually take off my Hirobo Shuttle, that was many years ago though :)
Well done it looked great. Nice to hear the engine :) I can just remember the smell of the nitro mmmmm   ::)

Offline aburn09

• Liked: 74
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2018, 11:37:41 »
Best way to describe how to fly helis is trying to balance a marble in the middle of a sheet of gas glass and trying to keep it there !!
I've had many electrics in my time but all I have left now is my custom built Airwolf which is my pride and joy but I'll never build another heli as they are expensive to repair and whereas quads on comparison are easier to build fly and I think more fun now we can fly fpv  ~~

Offline payne

• Liked: 3
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2018, 23:22:33 »
Bad Raven
its good to hear the Sceadu's are still flying well
with the Freya a dynatron on 12v will start an os91
and as you like blue heads take a look at this one
IMG_0132a.JPGFull circle back to a nitro heli
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 23:32:37 by payne »
if it goes skyward I'll try not to crash it

Offline payne

• Liked: 3
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2018, 23:28:45 »
hopefully the second picture is here and not the same as the other post :banghead:

IMG_0133a.JPGFull circle back to a nitro heli
if it goes skyward I'll try not to crash it

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2018, 09:02:47 »
Bad Raven
its good to hear the Sceadu's are still flying well
with the Freya a dynatron on 12v will start an os91

It was a Blackhead gold bodied OS World Cup Competition 91, and a dynatron on 24v (well a large 6S!!) would not turn it over with the plug in cold, and struggled to turn it over even with the plug OUT on just crankcase compression until it was warmed!!

This afternoon's job is to get the Heli fleet out and run them up. (No TT Raptors though lots of TT Redline engines!)