Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Ren77 on 12 Sep 2017
  • Hi there,

I';m new too all this & enjoying the FPV thing round the house, however, after noticing a drop in power & response, my makerfire FPV now fails to gain any significant altitude.

Any ideas why?

Have I worn the motors out? What';s the life expectancy of these?

Have I knackered the batteries by over dis-charging them? How long should these last?

Makerfire RTF version, Crazepony 250mah batteries x4

Thanks in advance!

Ren
  • #2 by Cheredanine on 12 Sep 2017
  • Hi, could be either.
    Typically if your lipos start to go they will discharge faster, so initially you will still have lift, but over the flight it will rapidly decrease.

Brushed motors do wear out. You would expect it not to be symmetrical, I.e each motor would wear out at a different time, however if a motor provides less thrust the flight controller will try and compensate by speeding it up and slowing the others down, hence you only get lift at the rate of your slowest motor.

You can get replacements for either but suggest easiest route is get a new lipo and try it (never hurts to buy more batteries)

If that doesn';t fix it then you are looking at motors
  • #3 by Bajadre on 12 Sep 2017
  • Hey Ren77  :beer2: welcome to MRUK  ~~

Have you changed anything on the quad recently mate like props etc?
  • #4 by Slobberdog57 on 13 Sep 2017
  • 6mm motors don';t last long, if the power got gradually worse its that or batteries have gone past their best

how many flights minutes in the air do you recon you have done,
  • #5 by Ren77 on 13 Sep 2017
  • Thanks for the responses chaps, I think I';ll try both new motors & new batteries.

Flight time total - no idea, est a few hours max?

Wondering about going to a proper controller (taranis qx7 looks like the bang for buck sweet spot) & proper flight controller, suggestions welcome.

Cheers!
    Ren77
  • #6 by ched999uk on 13 Sep 2017
  • I assume you have some way of knowing the battery voltage when flying to protect the batteries? Lipos don';t really like going below 3.7v per cell once rested. If you keep going lower you will damage the cells.
  • #7 by Ren77 on 13 Sep 2017
  • Exactly that - I';ve no idea, other than if the flight control board has some sort of auto cut-off?

Pages:
Actions