Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by nate80 on 12 Sep 2017
  • #2 by shawdreamer on 12 Sep 2017
  • just wait, you wont be able to fully visualize it yet but you';ll get to a point were you';ve upgraded about all you can on your printer and the thought will hit you...... "hmmm I could have made my own with all these parts Ive made..... wait a dam minute!"

and then you';ll want to make your own from scratch  :laugh:

on the bearings note.

consider going "bearing-less", I remade the carriage on my own designed printer to run it bearingless and you wont realise just how much noise even the most high quality linear rod bearings contribute to a printers overall sound level, even the ceramic bearings Id upgraded to made more noise than the bearingless carriage does now and they were dam expensive feckers.
  • #3 by Doug on 12 Sep 2017
  • #4 by shawdreamer on 12 Sep 2017
  • build either a Delta or a CoreXY and go large

Doug

you meanie..... your making out that Prusa';s cant do "large" :cry :cry :cry

my new design will be capable of 400x400 :tongue:

Even now my Poltur XL will do 300x300 :tongue: :tongue:
  • #5 by nate80 on 12 Sep 2017
  • I was thinking of building one of these next:

[attachimg=1]
  • #6 by shawdreamer on 12 Sep 2017
  • you might wanna consider limiting your first "build" to a printer that';ll fit in a room..... rather than a room thats also a printer :laugh:
  • #7 by nate80 on 12 Sep 2017
  • you might wanna consider limiting your first "build" to a printer that';ll fit in a room..... rather than a room thats also a printer :laugh:

lol. I don';t think I';ll be building a new printer just yet. I';m still happily getting to grips with the Malyan. Plus, I haven';t finished the new extension yet to put it in.  ;)
  • #8 by Doug on 13 Sep 2017
  • you meanie..... your making out that Prusa';s cant do "large" :cry :cry :cry

my new design will be capable of 400x400 :tongue:

Even now my Poltur XL will do 300x300 :tongue: :tongue:

No not at all but you do run into issues when trying to move a bed of that size the other option is to move the gantry and keep the bed static.

Swinging that amount of mass of the Bed in say the Y axis (Which is normal for a prusa) causing a lot of induced momentum into the whole printer so you need to slow it down unless you reduce the mass considerably.

The advantage of a CoreXY is the bed only moves in the Z Axis and drops for an increase in Z so it';s mass actually helps here to keep the speeds up

My I3 when I sold it on dis 300x200 using a FG Bed so the mass wasn';t to bad but ideally you want a substantial bed for anything much bigger and that means going towards Cast Tooling plate Silicon heaters usually run of AC Mains Don';t think I would want to start swinging that around  :hmm:

But I wish you luck with it.

This is what you call a big printer tho 

Doug
  • #9 by Doug on 13 Sep 2017
  • I was thinking of building one of these next:

[attachimg=1]

That';s not big see my last post
  • #10 by nate80 on 13 Sep 2017
  • That';s not big see my last post

lol.  Yeah, I saw.  Bricky';s will be turning in their graves!  ;)
  • #11 by shawdreamer on 13 Sep 2017
  • My I3 when I sold it on dis 300x200 using a FG Bed so the mass wasn';t to bad but ideally you want a substantial bed for anything much bigger and that means going towards Cast Tooling plate Silicon heaters usually run of AC Mains Don';t think I would want to start swinging that around  :hmm:

My Poltur XL already uses a 3mm Alu plate directly heated by a 200x300 silcone 12v pad on a regular basis, gave the 300x300 a go but It would mean the printer could no longer be enclosed which is one of the main reasons I designed the printer to be integrated directly into a lack table in the first place (along with the increased rigidity it offers) .

with a 300x300 heatedbed it still functions perfectly fine at the same pace as a 200x200 runs its just that the current design means the edge of a 300x300 heated bed juts out at the front and rear when at its maximum and minimum movement range, mean enclosing would be a no go.
    <br /><br />
  • #12 by nate80 on 05 Oct 2017
  • I finally got the chance to finish off the mods for my Malyan M150 and did the first test print today.  It';s been upgraded with Malyan M150 Z Braces (a remix of Azza';s Wanhao Z Braces) and Z pillar adjustable feet. I printed additional LED brackets and installed white LED lighting, powered off the main transformer but using a standalone switch. The piped filament is now cooled using a 5050 fan and a Cobra ducting system (planning to print and test a different cooler too that Lee kindly gave me the files for), the hot end is insulated and the gear spring is tensioned with an adjustable spacer (cheers Jeremy  :beer2: ). Oh, and I printed a clip on filament feed too, which works a treat and stops the filament pulling.

The Z axis is now super solid and I';m sure taller prints will benefit from the lack of wobble.  The LED lighting makes seeing what';s being placed on the bed so much easier to see, and the cobra duct helps there too.  I wanted it all to look factory fitted as much as possible, so I wrapped the led wiring in cable spiral protector and heat shrink.  I';m very happy with the finish and looking forward to trialling some bigger prints.

Malyan-M150-2.jpgReally liking this 3D printing malarkey

Malyan-M150-3.jpgReally liking this 3D printing malarkey

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #13 by nate80 on 10 Oct 2017
Pages:
Actions