Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by apollo7 on 08 Nov 2017
  • In the quest to get away from the P3 and silly DJI issues, i am close to pulling the trigger on the Xiaomi Mi 4k...........but before i end up doing this i still wonder if i can build a nice quad with a decent gimbal, but it comes down to a camera, i still think its not easy to get a good camera that does what the P3 does (or Mi drone) like having the ability to change camera settings in flight, swap between video and stills, or does this camera exist at a sensible price?
  • #2 by apollo7 on 10 Nov 2017
  • Looks like i can answer this myself NO, would have been a great project, Tarot 650 sport with naza M and well spec`ed parts list and P3 camera
  • #3 by hoverfly on 10 Nov 2017
  • I had the same idea more or less.. A need for camera control with a stable platform and decent fligh times  :banghead:

Then D.B.   posted  his Phantom  review. Bas***d  :rofl:  When D.J.I.  implemented their screw you policy i stopped updating,  If it ain't bust don't fix it,  both the P.H3A and Mavic fly well no problems.
    For those purchasing later editions  I have heard that it is relatively simple to "adjust" the flight kill code .
  • #4 by apollo7 on 10 Nov 2017
  • I had the same idea more or less.. A need for camera control with a stable platform and decent fligh times  :banghead:

Then D.B.   posted  his Phantom  review. Bas***d  :rofl:  When D.J.I.  implemented their screw you policy i stopped updating,  If it ain't bust don't fix it,  both the P.H3A and Mavic fly well no problems.
    For those purchasing later editions  I have heard that it is relatively simple to "adjust" the flight kill code .

It would be nice if this was possible but its a no go, the camera and gimbal are linked into the IMU,  Its a shame because i would have built the Tarot 650 sport with premium motors and stuff.
    Today is a problem day, found yet another stress crack on bottom of P3, this quad has hardly been used last few months, so it appears it sits in the foam lined case and just cracks, how shite is that! looking into getting the xiaomi Mi and i cant get the app.........one option for time being might be to get some of that resin that is cured with a little UV light and take top shell of P3, remove offending motor and poor some resin in each little molded pocket then cure it...temp fix
  • #5 by Will Slater on 10 Nov 2017
  • I looked at building a camera quad and very quickly came to the conclusion that it just wasn't practical (though I still plan on building a play quad) due to complexity and cost. I ended up picking up a Xiaomi 4K a couple of weeks back and *so far* I've been really impressed, though bear in mind I've nothing equivalent to compare it to.

Been writing a blog on my experiences so far if anyone is interested. http://www.cleanslateimages.co.uk/
  • #6 by hoverfly on 10 Nov 2017
  • As far as i understand it tweaking the "kill code" just disables the lock down , not affecting the camera,  gimbal..or anything else.. :hmm:
  • #7 by apollo7 on 11 Nov 2017
  • I took the plunge, ordered the Xiaomi Mi 4k drone too many good reviews and on offer for £298........bye bye P3
  • #8 by hoverfly on 11 Nov 2017
  • Review required a.s.a.p.  ::)
  • #9 by apollo7 on 11 Nov 2017
  • Review required a.s.a.p.  ::)

of course, but might be in several stages, i dithered half the day but im glad i pulled trigger and with luck it will turn out to be a match for "that other brand"
  • #10 by hoverfly on 11 Nov 2017

• Today is a problem day, found yet another stress crack on bottom of P3, this quad has hardly been used last few months, so it appears it sits in the foam lined case and just cracks, how shite is that! .......one option for time being might be to get some of that resin that is cured with a little UV light and take top shell of P3, remove offending motor and poor some resin in each little molded pocket then cure it...temp fix
    After reading the above I thought it might be an idea to check mine, it had been back to D.J.I. for a new frame as it had developed cracks on one mount. Luckily one week before the warranty expired.  I've only flown it a few times since so likewise its been sitting in its case,  no new cracks  :sweating:  Just to be safe I  went to slacken the motor bolts,they were already backed off, looks like they have got the message. :smiley:
  • #11 by iRobot on 12 Nov 2017
  • Hope we see some feedback from you on the Xiaomi soon  ~~
    Out of curiosity where have you ordered from?
  • #12 by apollo7 on 12 Nov 2017
  • After reading the above I thought it might be an idea to check mine, it had been back to D.J.I. for a new frame as it had developed cracks on one mount. Luckily one week before the warranty expired.  I've only flown it a few times since so likewise its been sitting in its case,  no new cracks  :sweating:  Just to be safe I  went to slacken the motor bolts,they were already backed off, looks like they have got the message. :smiley:

The bolts dont want to be too slack, but they dont want to be done up rock tight, i may end up keeping the P3 (humble pie) and i have ordered a set of the alloy motor plates that fit to underside of the arms
  • #13 by apollo7 on 12 Nov 2017
  • Hope we see some feedback from you on the Xiaomi soon  ~~
    Out of curiosity where have you ordered from?

Ordered from Gearbest, part of me is getting cold feet on this order, did consider trying to cancel order this morning, guess im just worried it will crash or such and then i will have a right job trying to get Gearbest to sort it out, but then on the other hand a lot of people are raving about just how good this camera quad is, and its only £300, not like its a typhoon H at near a grand.
    once its here and i get up and running with it i will leave warts an all feedback on here. this is a lovely pic i pinched from the net<br /><br />
  • #14 by Will Slater on 12 Nov 2017
  • If it's any help I'm still really impressed with my Mi, though as it's my first proper drone I dunno how much help that is. Couple of videos for your perusal, first is straight out the camera (and edited, obviously) and second has had a bit of colour work done.

As you can see I'm having great fun with it. Just adding a new blog to http://www.cleanslateimages.co.uk this afternoon.
  • #15 by apollo7 on 12 Nov 2017
  • Cheers Will, how are you finding the Mi for reliability?
  • #16 by Will Slater on 12 Nov 2017
  • So far absolutely spot on. I've had no disconnects, no untoward behavior, nothing to worry about at all. The app has crashed once I think, but I suspect that may be more to do with my phone (Facebook and Spotify also make it go wonky) and was after turning to drone off and on a couple of times whilst leaving the app running. Mostly I've just been flying it non stop which seems to be fine.

I've suffered the wonky horizon that a few people seem to have but it's pretty sporadic and if needed I can always shoot in 4K and straighten down to 1080p. The quality of stills isn't amazing to my eyes, but I'm used to pretty decent DSLR and mirrorless cameras so it's not really fair to expect it to compare to that. Stills are more like a phone level of quality I guess, which given the sensor is a bit right. Video - to me at least - looks great.

I timed a battery yesterday, from 98% down to 36% was just under 16 minutes which is a bit lower than advertised, but it was pretty breezy (it was getting buffeted a fair bit) and fairly close to freezing at ground level, which can't be great for battery life.

Anything else you want to know (or if you want to have a look if you're near Hull) just give me a shout and I'll see what I can do.
  • #17 by apollo7 on 12 Nov 2017
  • Thanks again Will, and good to get  strong vote in favour, when i shoot with the Phantom i rarely take stills preferring to use snipping tool to take any stills out of the video, speaking of vids seems like i am gonna need a top of the range micro sd card for the Mi?
  • #18 by Will Slater on 12 Nov 2017
  • If you want to shoot in 4k aye, you'll need a goodun. I picked up a 64gb Samsung U3 EVO Plus supermagic beast card for under 20 quid though, so it's not a terrible outlay. Hardest thing is not losing it!

To be fair the stills aren't awful, one from yesterday:

• #19 by apollo7 on 12 Nov 2017
  • Yes, trying not to lose them,especially when you press the thumbnail to spring them out and the thumb slips on the release, my Mobius is the worst for this, the card can come out at the speed of a tornado jet fighter  :laugh:
  • #20 by Will Slater on 12 Nov 2017
  • Yeah the ball camera looks really cool but getting the card in and out when you have big sausage fingers isnt
  • #21 by hoverfly on 12 Nov 2017
  • Ball camera  :o :o????
  • #22 by Will Slater on 13 Nov 2017
  • And sausage fingers!
  • #23 by hoverfly on 13 Nov 2017
  • Yerr that's nought  I've got a bratwurst Wang. :nananana:
  • #24 by apollo7 on 13 Nov 2017
  • @Will, have you tested the RTH on the Mi, if so what sort of distance have you taken it out to and then hit RTH
  • #25 by Will Slater on 13 Nov 2017
  • Tested it once from about 100m iirc, apart from that I've only flown it manually. Worked perfectly mind, I didn't mark the takeoff point but it was certainly close. Next time I'm somewhere open (that's not the sea) I'll take it out a bit further and try it.
Pages:
Actions