Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by CornishMule on 30 Oct 2017
  • Starting a build log of my first build.

Parts list:
    QAV-R 220 Clone 4mm Carbon fibre frame with aluminium stand offs
    Matek F405 OSD FC
    Matek FCHUB-6S PDB
    Matek VTX-HV with BFCMS Control
    TBS Mr Steele Motors
    Spedix 30A ESCs running DShot 600
    Runcam Swift 2 FPV camera 2.3mm lens
    Menace Pagoda Antenna
    Flysky FS-iA6 receiver - Depinned

Apparently I soldered the XT60 wires incorrectly to the PDB (they're supposed to go between the pads and bridge with solder ... I'll correct that in a future build.

The SMA mount is a repurposed broken propeller ... seems to work well :)

direct link upload images

Upgraded to Betaflight 3.2.1 and test hover works. Need to fix and mount the antennas and GoPro mount and then it's done.

Let me know your comments :)
  • #2 by Cheredanine on 30 Oct 2017
  • Good job mate :) but no picture of the finished article? :huh

Some thoughts for you:

Using pre-arm? It is a damn good safety feature
    Are you running motor direction normal or reversed?
    How are you mounting the antenna?
  • #3 by Bajadre on 31 Oct 2017
  • Nice build buddy  :cool: let me know how the steele motors get on, have them on my to buy list  ~~
  • #4 by CornishMule on 31 Oct 2017
  • Good job mate :) but no picture of the finished article? :huh

Some thoughts for you:

Using pre-arm? It is a damn good safety feature
    Are you running motor direction normal or reversed?
    How are you mounting the antenna?

Thanks for the comments :) I need to take a photo when it's all assembled properly.

Pre-arm is on my to do list, just need to sacrifice some of my switch assignments while I have the crappy six channel Tx :)

Yeah. ESCs 1 and 4 are reversed in BLHeli suite. Any known issues with this rather than wiring them up reversed?

I've mounted the antenna using cable ties and heatshrink. One stick out the back of the quad and the other pointing straight up.
  • #5 by Cheredanine on 31 Oct 2017
  • Yeah difficult with 6 channel :(

No, no issues whatsoever

Option I use for antenna below as a suggestion, I use on all my builds after i got fed up with mangled antenna in crashes:

http://multirotorspares.co.uk/over-the-standoff-receiver-antenna-tube-holders-made-from-flexable-tpu-4-pieces-by-plastic-spider/
  • #6 by Icefever on 31 Oct 2017
  • Hi Cornish,  looking good matey...let us know any up dates.  What do you mean about soldering the XT60??? I thought they sat on the tabs??
  • #7 by hoverfly on 31 Oct 2017
  • xt60 can sit on the tabs but  i would run some softy silicone cable up to a frame spacer and cable tie it then attach the xt60 then if the battery separates it won't  rip the pads off.
  • #8 by CornishMule on 06 Nov 2017
  • A few pics of it all together and ready for the skies.

Antennas are attached to zip ties and wrapped in heatshrink.

GoPro is attached to a 3D printed mount (generic and modded with velcro and washers to elevate it slightly from the frame to create a gap for the strap)

There's a 12V green LED strip underneath acting as a tail-light for chases / finding it in the dark

Rubber grommet on the XT60 wires to prevent the carbon cutting in to the wires, and the cable is secured internally to avoid ripping off the pads in a heavy crash.

• #9 by Cheredanine on 06 Nov 2017
  • Good job mate, still wary of the Rx antenna but get it in the air, we want some flight footage
  • #10 by CornishMule on 14 Nov 2017
  • Managed to get out at the weekend and maiden the Steele build. It was super windy, but got through a few packs. A few oscillations but generally happy with the flight.

Let me know your thoughts,

• #11 by hoverfly on 14 Nov 2017
  • I think that looks suspiciously like the  Devils Quoits at Stanton Harcourt.
    I think I posted some pics of it when I flew my PH3 there.
    I got a bo££ocking from some old fart for parking on " A live landfill site"
    I wasn't able to use the car park as the twit had parked his JCB in the slot. :shrug:
Pages:
Actions