Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by this_is_the_rad on 20 Oct 2017
  • Hey guys,

So, i';m still pretty new but i can fly in acro kinda ok, i';m no hotshot freestyle pilot or Matt Evans when it comes to racing (even though we share the same surname, strangely it hasn';t made me any better) but i';m slowly progressing.

Now the one thing i have been thinking about is Horizon mode and why the need to be able to fly acro?

Since i can fly acro i have gone back to try horizon and i can do everything i could before but i';m even smoother, more confident in dives and with the self level my stops after a roll or flip are more crisp with that little help. Racing around my field with some gates up i';m loads faster too. So where is the huge advantage of acro?

I know they don';t, but i even started wondering if some of these moustached pros are actually flying horizon and it';s some big conspiracy cover up that they are or bragging rights if you can do all the same in acro haha. It';s like even Jesse flies his Tiny Whoops in self level yet on other forums if you ask it';s all ';oh you need to be flying acro or you';re not a serious flyer'; etc etc.

Do the PIDS and rates all still work exactly the same if you have horizon mode turned on? I think i saw a Mr Bardwell video recently where he said some settings differ in the self level modes?

I';m just wondering what the big advantage of acro is as after today as i';m currently not seeing a huge benefit of progressing in acro and my flying actually got better by going backwards to horizon.

Thanks guys!
  • #2 by shawdreamer on 20 Oct 2017
  • It may seem like you dont need to fly Acro with a semi-hand holding mode like Horizon BUT it only seems that way right now.

the more you fly the better you get and if your doing that flying in Acro you';ll soon surpass any level of help Horizon mode could ever really offer and even quickly find the restraints (though seemingly minor) that horizon place on the craft will become quite annoying.

Youve actually hit on the best way of learning to fly in my books, sure use self leveling to get the frame in the air and even have it on standby if for some reason you become overwhelmed and need some quick recovery help but only for those purposes, spend as much time as you can in acro and get to know your frame';s behaviour and you';ll be surprised how quickly you surpass anything the self levelling modes could ever help with.
  • #3 by Bad Raven on 21 Oct 2017
  • It';s a decent question.

IMO after flying almost exclusively Acro/Rate in the past two years, for general free style flying the more recent iterations of Betaflight have improved the "softer" settings possible with Horizon to the point where the former obvious gap has closed.

One of my 250s has recently been used mostly in Horizon with JUST enough strength to assist exit from moves.

I';m still changing back and fore from it to the others that stay in Acro all the time.  Not found this an issue.
  • #4 by this_is_the_rad on 21 Oct 2017
  • Thanks guys, I actually forgot you can turn the strength of horizon mode down, I';ve just been trying it stock. That might actually help me cause recently, even though I try to fly everyday I feel I haven';t been progressing much and even maybe crashing more. Maybe if I go back to horizon for a little bit and gradually keep turning the strength down until I';m back in acro but still flying as well as I was with horizons help then I might make more of jump on this learning curve cause right now I don';t feel like I';m moving forward and just stuck in a rut. Thanks guys!
  • #5 by Stactix on 22 Oct 2017
  • Hey guys,

So, i';m still pretty new but i can fly in acro kinda ok, i';m no hotshot freestyle pilot or Matt Evans when it comes to racing (even though we share the same surname, strangely it hasn';t made me any better) but i';m slowly progressing.

Now the one thing i have been thinking about is Horizon mode and why the need to be able to fly acro?

Since i can fly acro i have gone back to try horizon and i can do everything i could before but i';m even smoother, more confident in dives and with the self level my stops after a roll or flip are more crisp with that little help. Racing around my field with some gates up i';m loads faster too. So where is the huge advantage of acro?

I know they don';t, but i even started wondering if some of these moustached pros are actually flying horizon and it';s some big conspiracy cover up that they are or bragging rights if you can do all the same in acro haha. It';s like even Jesse flies his Tiny Whoops in self level yet on other forums if you ask it';s all ';oh you need to be flying acro or you';re not a serious flyer'; etc etc.

Do the PIDS and rates all still work exactly the same if you have horizon mode turned on? I think i saw a Mr Bardwell video recently where he said some settings differ in the self level modes?

I';m just wondering what the big advantage of acro is as after today as i';m currently not seeing a huge benefit of progressing in acro and my flying actually got better by going backwards to horizon.

Thanks guys!

I';m also quite new to the hobby, although I mainly fly acro apart from my little tiny 7 which I fly angle (great fun to fly but does not like throttle reduction one bit)
    I very briefly used Horizon but didn';t like the feeling after coming back from a flip, may also be due to flying quite a bit of simulator solely in acro, so I kinda just skipped Horizon.

I don';t know the limitations of Horizon can you do powerloops, Split-s, inverted 0 throttle etc without it kicking in?
    In terms of progress, whenever you';re flying you';re making some form of progress, not all progress is as noticeable though.  I feel like my progress is slow then I watch a you tuber and feel a tad demoralised! I certainly recommend if you don';t already using a simulator, I';ve spent the last 2-3 nights spending 30minutes here and it does really help.
    Velicodrome is my current fave, tonnes of tracks.

https://oscarliang.com/rate-acro-horizon-flight-mode-level/

That might help

• #6 by this_is_the_rad on 22 Oct 2017
  • I did have a sim, i was flying on the Rotor Rush one for a while but hadn';t used it in a few weeks so i cancelled it.

I think you can still do all of those moves as long as you';re holding the position on the stick, as soon as you let the stick go to centre the quad will follow. So after back pitch to pull out of the split s i';d have to smoothly transfer back to forward pitch on the stick and keep it there to continue flying along. Easier in acro, just the horizon mode was really smoothing out my flying. After a few more rolls and flips in horizon i can see where the self level begins to look bad. Like if i over rotate then it levels it back quick, that looks worse on gopro footage than if i slowly levelled back myself in acro.

I think i do what you said, come back from flying and watch the Youtube guys on a evening and get a little annoyed i';m not that good yet haha.
  • #7 by Andy7 on 22 Oct 2017
    moustached pros

:rofl:
  • #8 by Cheredanine on 23 Oct 2017
  • #9 by hoverfly on 23 Oct 2017
  • Honestly I have watched this 5read a bit flabbergasted.

If you fly LOS then horizon mode is groovy

If you fly fpv then
    Angle mode = a kids tricycle
    Horizon mode = a bike with stabilisers
    Rate mode = a bike

One of the best descriptions of f/modes I';ve seen,  :laugh:
  • #10 by this_is_the_rad on 23 Oct 2017
  • Lots of crashing and erratic flying it is then in nothing but acro haha, like you say no point in going backwards. Cheers guys!
  • #11 by Cheredanine on 23 Oct 2017
  • #12 by Two-Six on 27 Oct 2017
  • I have full stabilisation on when I take off, then when the quad is moving in the right direction I turn it off.  I don';t like the feeling of stabilisation stopping me from putting in the control inputs I want.  It is very limiting.  I then turn it back on again just for landing.  When I fly LOS I use full stabilisation.  I don';t do upside down as yet.  Still not brave enough. 
  • #13 by this_is_the_rad on 11 Nov 2017
  • A little update,

so even though i ended up getting a Chameleon with all the goodies, i don't like building so bought the new Vortex 230 the other day. Flew it today for the first time and no wonder i was struggling with that Furibee Fuuton 200 i had, this Vortex is so locked in and stable! I had to triple check i was actually flying in Acro. Thing is amazing.

I had the Furibee on BF 3.2 with stock pids but it flew awful now looking back, it was like it was all or nothing with it, i never felt in control and wasn't progressing with it.  First flight with the Vortex and i had the biggest grin on my face ever, i'm seriously hooked on fpv quads now and i never thought i'd be dragged away from my dlg's.

So to answer my own question then yeah, you can fly like the youtube guys in acro when you have a decent quad and set up, hell i was even hitting a few tree gaps myself, slow and steady though haha.

I wanna go fly again.
Pages:
Actions