User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • hoverfly: Still have a couple of orange tipple batts still working,   mainly part time... ::)
    July 16, 2018, 16:42:16
  • Bad Raven: The difference being most will not deliver the power but wil not be trashed in trying!
    July 16, 2018, 16:12:57
  • Kellarly: hehe, nothing changes there then!
    July 16, 2018, 09:26:19
  • Bad Raven: Is the issue Turnigy or Turnigy Nano-Tech? I have found that mid-blue Turnigy tend to be low on their stated "C" discharge rating.
    July 16, 2018, 08:37:09
  • ched999uk: RaceDayQuads have some cheap but good batts out now. Josh B tested and stats say very good especially at price. HobbyRC have 1300mAh 4S just under £20. Not had luck with Turnigy lipos either!!
    July 15, 2018, 22:48:51
  • Reman: Just realised that I hadn't gone through my stored Li-Po's for about a month. I try to visually check them every Saturday, And prod the plugs with a multimeter about once a month. Todays seen 12 more bulging packs go out to the incinerator..... All but one was a bloody Turnigy! Part of me wan't to burn the rest now and just get a load more Tattu packs, But I've spent good money on these packs and wan't to at least get a little more use out of them. :(
    July 15, 2018, 19:54:53
  • Bad Raven: Pre MR's I used to buy a lot from J.Perkins. Their website showed all items and stock or due date, go to dealer and buy with confidence. Then they went all "lifestyle" and all the site had were pictures or people. I wasn't after people. I never bought again. Yes, you'd think they'd learn...........
    July 15, 2018, 17:51:40
  • ched999uk: Reman sounds like amazon search. I find it ok unitil you want to search by price then amazon falls apart.... You would think both companies would get it right...
    July 15, 2018, 16:54:55
  • Reman: It's strange. The original setup they had about 5 or 6 years back wasn't too bad (Except for them occasionally getting accounts hacked), But they changed it to the last one that was clunky and slow, Now they've replaced that with a flashier one that's also clunky and slow ?!?!?! Most companies learn from what they do wrong. I don't buy from HK half as much as I used to, Mainly because it takes forever to trawl through 100 pages of totally unrelated stuff while looking for something you were thinking about getting when you saw it there the previous week !!!
    July 15, 2018, 16:27:21
  • hoverfly: I don't think there is a search button on H/King. They updated the site and forgot to  relabel the search button with  Random bo##ocks..
    July 15, 2018, 09:47:35
  • Bad Raven: Agree - The Search is abysmal!!
    July 15, 2018, 08:40:52
  • Reman: I see HobbyKing's revamped their site again...... Shame they haven't made the search function work any better, Or worked out why the whole site goes slower than a pensioner in a Nissan Micra. :)
    July 15, 2018, 08:28:14
  • Reman: How thick is Google? You buy something online, Then for the next week you get targeted adds for the item you've just got?!?! That's the one item you're NOT going to be buying again at that point so it's wasted effort of there part. :)
    July 14, 2018, 08:50:51
  • DarkButterfly: ~~
    July 13, 2018, 23:56:20
  • Kellarly: as does my ability not to realise what i've already typed
    July 13, 2018, 22:25:42
  • Kellarly: Wahooo, my whoop now lives!
    July 13, 2018, 22:25:19
  • Kellarly: yay, the whoop lives!!!
    July 13, 2018, 22:18:43
  • DarkButterfly: Had to replace the battery connector
    July 12, 2018, 10:57:47
  • Kellarly: good work! what was up with it?
    July 12, 2018, 10:39:33
  • DarkButterfly: Fixed my tiny6
    July 12, 2018, 10:23:59

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: 65 plate Transit instrument cluster brightness?  (Read 520 times)

Offline Reman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 180
  • Fly, Crash, Rebuild, Repeat.
65 plate Transit instrument cluster brightness?
« on: January 12, 2018, 10:53:34 »
Well this is about as off-topic as I've got here, but works put me in a bottom of the range Mk8 Transit whilst my usual Mk7 is being fixed.

The problem I'm having is that the instrument cluster is like a friggin spotlight and I can't find any way to dim it ! I've been working ridiculous hours for the last few weeks and haven't had time to try and Google an answer at home (and a mobile phone isn't the easiest thing to use whilst searching for technical info online). This instrument cluster really is migraine inducingly bright when driving on unlit roads !!!

The manual says that the controls should be either side of the light switch dial below and to the right of the steering wheel, but all this one has there is a button for the fog lights.

I'm wondering if anyone out there who has more experience of 65 plate Mk8 Transits could point me at where else to look? As I said it's one of the base model versions with the blue LCD / LED trip computer screens. I've gone through the menus on that and can't find any reference to dimming the damn lights even there.

Any help would be useful as at the minute when I'm on country roads at night I'm having to put a couple of sheets of paper in front of all the gauges so I can see where the hell I'm going. It doesn't seem to matter how many times I clean my glasses, all I see are bloody star bursts of colour coming from the gauges !!!

HEEEEEEEEELP! !!! :)
I need a pay rise........ Though I'd settle for a reduction in the amount of hours I need to work to get the same money.

Offline Bad Raven

• Liked: 602
Re: 65 plate Transit instrument cluster brightness?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 11:09:16 »
Seems to be a more widespread Ford issue with various owners inc Focus, etc complaining. Over a few years, too!

Seems also that the MFT section has an auto setting for night dimming, but still owners complaining its too bright for country lanes.

Some but not all Mk8 Transit's have two buttons by the headlight switch to adjust dash lighting??

Offline Reman

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 11:27:41 »
No, that's the place on the dash I mentioned,  all I've got there is a fog light button next to the headlight controls.

If this thing has an auto dimming dash light setup it ain't bloody working. The dash stays just as bright with the headlights on and off. Even my bloody 1986 Capri had a knob to adjust the dash brightness. If Ford have omitted a brightness control on this then they are really losing the plot !!!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 11:31:51 by Reman »
I need a pay rise........ Though I'd settle for a reduction in the amount of hours I need to work to get the same money.

Offline Two-Six

• Liked: 355
  • Have I had my biscuites yet?
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 11:56:28 »
How about getting some of that tinted film people tint their windows with and cut out a bit that neatly sticks over the screen? 

The next person who has the vehicle will thank you for it too.  I don't think there is a law about the levels of tint allowed on your instrument panel, yet.

Actually I was seriously thinking about making a little roller blind to cover the stupid stupid stupid stupid in car screen on the dash of my car.  Its stupidly bright and mostly useless as actually using it is a horrible distraction.  Easily as bad as using a mobile phone.

Nighthawk Pro, Trex 450 L Dominator 6 cell *FLOWN*, Blade 450-3D, MCPX-BL, MCPX-V2, Hubsan X4, Seagull Boomerang IC .40 trainer, HK Bixler, AXN Clouds fly,, Spektrum DX7, Taranis, AccuRC

Offline Reman

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 12:10:09 »
My transit is only off having an oil leak sorted out so I'm hoping I won't be in this van for much longer. If it was my permanent van the tinting film idea could have legs, although I think maybe using some of that cheap crap that sticks on by static would be a better option so it could quickly be removed if necessary.

Mind you, if I owned this van I'd probably hack into the wiring loom and fit some sort of variable step down regulator for the dash illumination (This is of course if I'm not missing something and there really is some factory fitted way to dim the dash).

Offline Powernumpty

• Liked: 235
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 14:08:09 »
The 2016 Manual says it's on the end of the light stalk similar to [<-O+>]
From www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2016-Transit-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_06_2015.pdf

INSTRUMENT LIGHTING
DIMMER
E175219
Press it repeatedly or press it and hold it
until the desired level is reached.
Note:
If you disconnect the battery or it
loses charge the instrument lighting will
return to its brightest setting

Offline Two-Six

• Liked: 355
  • Have I had my biscuites yet?
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 14:30:44 »
Failing that, how about some sweet wrappers and blu-tack?  :rolleyes:

You could have purple lights!
Nighthawk Pro, Trex 450 L Dominator 6 cell *FLOWN*, Blade 450-3D, MCPX-BL, MCPX-V2, Hubsan X4, Seagull Boomerang IC .40 trainer, HK Bixler, AXN Clouds fly,, Spektrum DX7, Taranis, AccuRC

Offline Reman

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 21:45:17 »
The 2016 Manual says it's on the end of the light stalk similar to [<-O+>]
From www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2016-Transit-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_06_2015.pdf

INSTRUMENT LIGHTING
DIMMER
E175219
Press it repeatedly or press it and hold it
until the desired level is reached.
Note:
If you disconnect the battery or it
loses charge the instrument lighting will
return to its brightest setting

Yeah, On page 71. That's the controls I mentioned. The right button is just a blanking plate, And the left one's a momentary button to turn the rear fog light on and off.