User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Wyntrblue: 8 packs through the hornet today. Only my cam connection failing stopped play. Need a new cam and wiring harness. Roll on payday!
    April 21, 2018, 20:48:20
  • Bad Raven: and proud of it.......  :evil
    April 21, 2018, 20:24:09
  • hoverfly: Squirrelist  :nananana:
    April 21, 2018, 18:55:58
  • Bad Raven: Hyperdog catapult, very good for squirrels (greys of course)
    April 21, 2018, 15:09:33
  • hoverfly: Well summer was nice while it lasted.... clouded over and the evil darkness has returned.  feels like a thunder storm is pending.... :shrug:
    April 21, 2018, 15:07:32
  • hoverfly: Superb bit of kit,that will keep the cats off my veg patch.  ~~
    April 21, 2018, 08:34:52
  • Bad Raven: [link]
    April 21, 2018, 05:54:26
  • Bad Raven: For recovery, I keep tucked away in the car a pair of overalls, a tennis ball with long string, and a dog ball catapult (from hyperdog)
    April 21, 2018, 05:52:53
  • Andy7: Hmph.... didnt have enough points to qualify. Thunderstorms tomorrow too.
    April 20, 2018, 22:29:44
  • ched999uk: Now all you have to do Andy7 is lay the slabs for even more brownie points.
    April 20, 2018, 21:03:53
  • hoverfly: Well O.T.T . .. Andy  you should have made her make do with a bag of chips. ::)
    April 20, 2018, 17:08:39
  • Andy7: Earned an early evening fly - points gained by collecting two carfuls of paving slabs for the Missus ;)
    April 20, 2018, 16:56:28
  • LuMan: <ouch> I feel your pain HF. I retrieved a quad last Summer from a blackberry bush. Only noticed how damaged I was when I got in the bath that night. Never realised that blackberry thorns could get 'THERE'.. :O
    April 20, 2018, 16:17:31
  • hoverfly: Just found out you can walk through knee high nettles in shorts  to retrieve a treed quad , the pain only developes when you sit down to inspect the damage... :cry :cry
    April 20, 2018, 16:04:03
  • mo_miah: i need to change jobs and work nights, missing out on all this lovely weather stuck at work playing freerider on my phone
    April 20, 2018, 14:41:41
  • ched999uk: Cheers Hoverfly $2.99 sounds good. Mind you tried my first los acro flight today and boy am I bad even with hrs and hrs of FPVFreerider!!!!
    April 19, 2018, 20:16:54
  • hoverfly: 27 degrees  in the shade in the garden.. if it's as hot tomorrow  i'm taking the wooly vest off.. :o
    April 19, 2018, 17:16:28
  • hoverfly: custom pack link... ::)...[link]
    April 19, 2018, 17:13:23
  • ched999uk: Bad Raven, is there a link to the custom pack?
    April 19, 2018, 17:06:59
  • Andy7: @Mo... sounds promising then! :)
    April 19, 2018, 15:26:06

Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 91
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Can anyone recommend me a good budget laptop?  (Read 681 times)

Offline JackieWashington

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 0
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
Can anyone recommend me a good budget laptop?
« on: January 12, 2018, 07:28:23 »
Hello all,
please recommend me a good budget laptop. I want to use it for office work, youtube videos and some programming. No gaming.

Thank you.

Offline mitchell.atheis

• Liked: 3
Re: Can anyone recommend me a good budget laptop?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 16:57:49 »
I use the HP Envy 13 - second hand, I got this for 400. I have the i5 model and the 2.7k screen which is awesome for multi tasking. Can just about edit 4k video on Premier Pro and full HD easily. Size wise its very slim & lightweight, similar to the new Mac book airs. I got this particular model as I think it packs the biggest punch for it's size, performance & price. There is also a i7 version available for a little extra.

Offline Flyinegypt

• Liked: 26
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 18:02:38 »
I would second the HP Envy models. My wife and I changed to the range last year and have been very pleased with the performance and light weight.

Offline Gav

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Liked: 765
  • quadtastic
    • 5.8GHz FPV Antenna FORSALE
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 19:59:33 »
The only advice I would give is get a lappy with an i5 or i7 processor.  I mean if you get a cheapo one with crap processor, then in my opinion its simply not worth it due to the aggravation and annoyance from the thing being so slow.  Made the mistake of buying a cheap laptop for my son a few years ago.  never again.

Offline Reman

• Liked: 164
  • Fly, Crash, Rebuild, Repeat.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 21:58:07 »
The big supermarkets often have some pretty good deals on low end laptops. You don't get a huge choice, But they tend to be seriously cheap.

Just go in when you've got half an hour or so and use your phone to google for reviews on anything they have in your price range. They usually have a couple for sale that's worth having, But like Gav said, I wouldn't go for the lowest price laptop they have. I've had quite a few brand new (but crappy spec) laptops inflicted on me by work. You may think you'd be fine using something with a budget basement spec, But after you've installed a couple of programs, having to wait for 3 minutes from pressing the power button before you finally get to the desktop can be a serious drag.
I need a pay rise........ Though I'd settle for a reduction in the amount of hours I need to work to get the same money.

Offline mitchell.atheis

• Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 02:33:04 »
Yeah add above minimum I would look for is i5 and a SSD which will really help the performance. Boot time is hugely influenced by the SSD. A old HDD will give you the few minute boot

Offline apollo7

• Liked: 668
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 06:05:43 »
I just very recently picked up a used Lenovo X230 I5 with 8gig ram on ebay for £132, its quick and does what i want
DJI P3......home build AQ600....Ranger 1600...2x Wing wing Z84....Wildthing 46 in build
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground

Offline Stickman

• Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 08:23:33 »
Just got an Asus Zenbook UX which has been good so far.

Offline trebor

• Old boy
  • Liked: 121
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 08:51:59 »
I got an Asus before Christmas and its doing ok ? Only thing now is the free anti virus software Mc fee has run out what to go with next ? I've used some free stuff like Avg but I think they were just spying on me all the time and it used to take for ev e r to start up.

Offline orfordness

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Liked: 141
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 16:00:38 »
I recently purchased 10 Dell touchscreen i5 laptops from here:-

https://www.europc.co.uk/outlet/laptop

Very pleased, all were factory refurbishments but actually brand new with three year warranty.

No connection to seller, just satisfied customer.

This is the model be bought for teaching staff:- https://www.europc.co.uk/dell-inspiron-13-5378-2-in-1-windows-10-home-64-bit-intel-core-i5-7200u-2-5ghz-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-13-3-1920x1080-fhd-touchscreen-dell-1-year-premium-onsite-warranty-122737.html

Steve
DJI Mavic Pro
Tarot 680 Pro Hex
450 (Flamewheel clone) x 4
Hubsan X4
CS022 Mini Quad

Offline Biffa

• Site Sponsor
  • Liked: 988
  • Fly more, worry less!
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 17:59:29 »
I got an Asus before Christmas and its doing ok ? Only thing now is the free anti virus software Mc fee has run out what to go with next ? I've used some free stuff like Avg but I think they were just spying on me all the time and it used to take for ev e r to start up.

Yeah AVG has slowly become more and more bloated and intrusive over the years. I am now using Avast.
Steve

Offline trebor

• Old boy
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 19:03:49 »
I'll have a look, the other one was malware bites or anti malware bites I've used.

Offline orfordness

• Site Sponsor
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 20:40:43 »

Check out Sophos Home, its free for up to 10 devices. I've just replaced Kaspersky AV with Sophos.
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/sophos-home

https://home.sophos.com/?cmp=701j0000001eKoNAAU&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=UK-EN-SophosHome-Search&utm_content=search&utm_term=sophos%20home&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqvWlwObV2AIV6Z3tCh0lcQAgEAAYASAAEgL0-fD_BwE

Steve
Microsoft MCSE
DJI Mavic Pro
Tarot 680 Pro Hex
Hubsan X4
CS022 Mini Quad

Offline orfordness

• Site Sponsor
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 20:44:29 »
I'll have a look, the other one was malware bites or anti malware bites I've used.

Careful how you Google this, Its Malware Bytes (Bytes as in megabyte!), misspelling it can get to a fake version that is just the opposite of what its supposed to do!
DJI Mavic Pro
Tarot 680 Pro Hex
Hubsan X4
CS022 Mini Quad

Offline Powernumpty

• Liked: 235
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 11:35:45 »
IMO - Malwarebytes is a good anti malware option, I believe they are expanding the range but I'd hold off on that until others have tested.
The two AV that consistently come top of the detection lists are normally Kaspersky and Bitdefender. I know at least one person shouted "it's the Russians!" at the mention of Kaspersky but here's the thing, don't assume the Americans & UK aren't going through everything you do already, there are lots of ways and unless you know how to really dig-in you are exposed and should focus on keeping normal viruses and exploits out of your PC and software up to date, pick a good AV to do those roles and don't assume you are using the PC, or internet, privately. If you don't block Facebook, Twitter, Doubleclick, Linked-in, Google etc at the router firewall you'll be filling databases every page click.

I still use Kaspersky because it is fast and effective, I also don't think the US companies are any more trustworthy than Rusians and in many ways we drop our defenses in some directions. I have little to interest the Russians and work on the assumption what I do is out in the open anyway.
I'm sure Sophos is good (the centrally managed, commercial one often gets a slating from memory) but it will have US back doors, so it's not about avioding ALL back doors it's about how many you are prepared to have and to where. (Destroying the Illusion).

I'll second the good CPU thing, I bought a HP laptop in about 2007, went for the higher end CPU (was worse battery life) have only just retired it from light duties due to USB power and battery charging issues, have only ever upgraded one CPU in a laptop, as by the time you can't live without they are expensive rare buggers (even if you can change it).

Offline Hands0n

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2665
  • Did the Wright brothers feel this amazing?
    • Technoratia
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 15:45:33 »
" ... good budget laptop". 

How about a top of the range i7 of a couple of years ago for under £500?   I'm currently rocking a Toshiba Portege R930-14X Ultrabook that will crunch through video rendering in moments.

For the past few years I have been buying and recommending IJT Direct for A-grade refurbished ex-business laptops that would originally have cost around £2,000.  Of course not the latest i7 but then if you were buying at the top end today you'd be laying out between £1,200 and £2,000. 

Today IJT are advertising a Dell i7 E7240 Touchscreen Ultrabook with 8GB of RAM and 256GB of SSD for £499.   Of course, they've got cheaper and lesser spec'd models if thats above your budget.

--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

Offline MKPSG12

• Liked: 2
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 10:33:26 »
What are peoples opinions on this;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Elitebook-8460p-Core-i7-2-7GHz-4GB-250GB-Laptop-1600x900-Radeon-6470M-/362209510183?hash=item54555e8327

It would just be for processing videos. My only concern is that its running Windows 7, how long before that's obsolete/no longer supported?

Offline trebor

• Old boy
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 12:40:16 »
I'd be a bit careful, it mentions i7 then i5 pross, which one seems a lot for the money.