Pages:
Actions
  • #1501 by Andy7 on 02 Oct 2017
  • Thought it might have been too windy to fly.... nope!
    Got a little ARTY on the edit this time.

• #1502 by Bajadre on 02 Oct 2017
  • Great vid andy  ~~ love the edits  :cool: one of your best vids for sure !!
  • #1503 by Andy7 on 02 Oct 2017
  • Thanks. I wasn't sure if I'd get any decent footage because of the wind, plus the lighting was awful - excuse then for moody filtering  ~~
    I begain the session with good intentions of trying to get my movements a lot smoother, it's all rather jerky at the moment as I'm overcompensating.
    I'm TRYING not to blame my old HK6S radio  :sweating:
  • #1504 by iRobot on 02 Oct 2017
  • Yep,,, keep the vids coming Andy7  ~~
  • #1505 by Bad Raven on 03 Oct 2017
  • I think I flew today, must have, as I now have 16 packs to charge!   :azn

Was very windy first thing, so I threw the Bixler 2 in the air and went thermalling/tree/terrain lift soaring, what we call "Slermalling" this way. The thing was going up like a lift for a while, even though it was deadstick without a brake on the prop so it was a windmilling brake.

Got into extreme reversing rotor on its first landing and it forced downwards and clipped a wingtip into a ground loop, and the nose promptly split apart like a Bristol Freighter (very little glue used, HK!) and it ejected the 2200mAh 3S battery. Five mins later, flying again with no real evidence (a little more of the rubbish stripe transfer flaked off).

Had a great time with the 200, and one flight on the more extreme 250 (Wind around 12-15 on the ground)

Then a learner being taught by a friend put his hand into a running prop and badly cut two fingers.  End of play time.   :blink :blink
  • #1506 by iRobot on 03 Oct 2017

• Then a learner being taught by a friend put his hand into a running prop and badly cut two fingers.  End of play time.   :blink :blink

Ouch,,, tough learning curve, school of hard knocks, measure twice cut once, never eat yellow snow,,,, don't think he'll do it again  ;)

Sounds like you had a good day though.
  • #1507 by Bad Raven on 05 Oct 2017
  • Yesterday's foray to the field saw only two of us braving the wind, both having FPV quads.

I dusted off my first quad buy 250, not flown for ages. I'd forgotten how ridiculously benign that was set up, it isn't going to stunt well any time this year thank you very much, but its great in a very very blustery 12-25mph for grooving the "long course" round the trees.

As there was only the two of us, and someone good at launching other than the usual gang who think a not even girly strength push straight up is OK (trust me, and that was after showing the action required more than once!!)  :frantic: , I maidened a Durafly EFXtra.  (Using 1800mAh 60-120C 4S)

This is the "improved" version with bigger motor, bigger battery bay, shortened clipped wings.

My one, poor thing, has been to the field a few times but on those days others up there wandering aimlessly everywhere around the sky in a series of near accidents made it no place to fly something that fast, let alone for the first time. Comes to something when 12-25 wind is preferable, but that's the way it is.  :shrug:

Did it fly?  Yup...............  ::)  Was it quick?  Yup............... Oh YESSSSSSS............ ::) ::) 

It didn't quite beat my record time for the longest straight the field allows, diagonal boundary to boundary in well under two seconds, but then I never went over 3/4 throttle due to the conditions and it being untrimmed, it not being a day to try. 

It will.......it will.........  :evil

• #1508 by hoverfly on 06 Oct 2017
  • Still a bit windy but getting desperate, :tongue: managed two sites with the Mavic :smiley:
    Slight f/u,, i forgot where i parked the car, one  :sweating: hour later... ::)
  • #1509 by Bad Raven on 07 Oct 2017
  • Slight f/u,, i forgot where i parked the car, one  :sweating: hour later... ::)

Write note to self "Next time set RTB at a safe place near to and in sight of car, then watch which way it goes back when activated and follow it"

::) ::)
  • #1510 by hoverfly on 07 Oct 2017
  • I had to walk quite a way to the burial mound and most of the area is forest, I just took the right hand path instead of the left one, normally I take an O.S. map and a compass but I left in haste ( total wonker)... In the end I cut half way across the east side of the forest and turned towards the sun as it was at my back when flying, I ended up back at the mound.  ::)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Knettishall+Heath+Country+Park,+Knettishall,+Thetford+IP22+2TQ/@52.3860263,0.8701435,16z/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x47d9ca2609ec8ca9:0x9c3014b7f27d3a3e
  • #1511 by apollo7 on 07 Oct 2017
  • Well, we are back from a lovely honeymoon staying at fort william in the highlands, i took ther P3s just in case but only got one short flight over Lock morar, but at least i broke my fear of flying over water, here are a couple of stills

• #1512 by hoverfly on 07 Oct 2017
  • Oh well it wasn't a total  waste of time then... :laugh:..nice shots ~~
  • #1513 by iRobot on 07 Oct 2017
  • Well, we are back from a lovely honeymoon staying at fort william in the highlands, i took ther P3s just in case but only got one short flight over Lock morar, but at least i broke my fear of flying over water, here are a couple of stills

Stunning ! Must admit, I do love Scotland.
    Now your broke in and you didn't have to go swimming, you'll be flying over water at every opportunity  :smiley:
  • #1514 by Andy7 on 08 Oct 2017
  • Excited squeals of "Look,look, it's drone!" From the kids in the playground in the next field. 3 packs to the sky this afternoon after a solid day's gardening.
    Was just getting some stick time in, no nothing too adventurous but I still put in some flips and rolls for the kids all sat on the fence  :cool:
  • #1515 by Sweet Pickle on 08 Oct 2017
  • Hmmpf.

Killed my Tarot 120 today.

Thought I hadn't quite hit maximum payout on the hobby this week.
  • #1516 by DarkButterfly on 08 Oct 2017
  • Hmmpf.

Killed my Tarot 120 today.

Thought I hadn't quite hit maximum payout on the hobby this week.

Impressive,

I haven't killed anything, but I did..

1. Break the wing off my Falcon Evo, again.
    2 Fly my Thug v5 through a metal post without crashing, (its on video) ::)
  • #1517 by Andy7 on 09 Oct 2017
  • I did say to myself that I wouldn't make a video, but that last pack was just so sweet that I've dropped it as a single edit.

Oh, and the good folk that maintain the field have done a little pruning and made a LOVELY little tree tunnel that I'm going to have a go at next time.
    It's also amazing the difference that a fresh set of props makes. I flew the first two packs with some pretty bent and cracked ones... and it seemed pretty good apart from some bad jello in the FPV after a tumble in the long grass. Wow, so much more traction.
  • #1518 by Sweet Pickle on 09 Oct 2017
  • Impressive,

I haven't killed anything, but I did..

1. Break the wing off my Falcon Evo, again.
    2 Fly my Thug v5 through a metal post without crashing, (its on video) ::)

The full demise might be overstated. Flew into the sun and the rubbish little CMOS camera completely froze. Had the missus spotting so I activated FS after a couple of seconds. Wasn't very high so I thought it wouldn't hurt. Bent 2 props and Killed the FC. No power going through it what so ever. Stripped it out and went over it with a microscope. Removed all ESC's and the power lead. Soldering clean as a whistle... but she's dead.
    Strange shape 23 sized FC so not sure if I'll salvage the parts and put it in another frame with a more standard size micro FC.
  • #1519 by Reman on 09 Oct 2017
  • Yesterday I did a LOS (Re)maiden on the 130 I had to rebuild after crashing it 30 seconds into the original maden.  :whistling:

It's had a replacment bottom plate and motors. It flew pretty well on the first pack while I zipped it around the garden at 6 or so feet, But when I fitted a fresh pack I tried a punch out and lost sight of it as it went right across the sun. I could still hear it, But couldn't tell where it was because I've only got one working ear (No stereo hearing to tell where the sound's coming from) and could only see a big purple splodge wherever I looked. Had to disarm it quickly while up in the air because I didn't want it coming down outside of the garden.

A couple of seconds after that I heard it crash through one of the trees. Remember what I said about not having directional hearing?  :huh

Luckily I've been getting quite good about fitting locating buzzers to anything I rebuild. I just had to walk around listening to all the trees until I found the one where the sound was loudest. Then I found it half way up that tree.

It had made a hell of a lot of quite expensive sounding noises before smacking into the branch that finally stopped it (With a sound like a golf ball being walloped full bore into a tree trunk), So I assumed that I'd probabbly killed it on it's maiden flight AGAIN, But once I'd prodded it out of the tree with a clothes line prop I found absolutely ZERO DAMAGE, Not even a bent/snapped prop (I'm getting pretty good at this crashing lark.  :laugh: ).

OK, The crash was entirely my fault. I didn't think to take my surroundings (The position of the sun for instance) into account before trying a punch out, But it all turned out OK, So I'm taking that as a successful maiden flight !  ::)
  • #1520 by Andy7 on 09 Oct 2017
  • Reman: And that's how we learn stuff! :)
  • #1521 by Sweet Pickle on 10 Oct 2017
  • Dunno about your little un' probably the same as mine, they just keep going up and up.

Quarter throttle and it's ascending like a missile.

Need to tame it on the rebuild.. going to have to go 2s I think.
  • #1522 by Bad Raven on 10 Oct 2017
  • Need to tame it on the rebuild.. going to have to go 2s I think.

NNNNNNoooooooooooooooooo !   :frantic:

Throttle curve maybe...............   :azn
  • #1523 by Andy7 on 10 Oct 2017
  • 2S... don't do it. Though I have to say that once you've smoked the crack pipe that is 4S there's no going back!!!  :wack0
  • #1524 by Reman on 10 Oct 2017
  • Could you just try running propellers with a shallower pitch ?
  • #1525 by hoverfly on 10 Oct 2017
  •   "Crack pipe"  surely you mean rectum.. :hmm:
  • #1526 by Bad Raven on 10 Oct 2017
  • Yesterday's Indoor - for a complete change to normal I put down the headset for a battery and flew the smaller motor (DYS 1104) Diatone ET150, set up for my garden use but which hasn't had much use recently, and rarely now in LOS, so even more unusual.  AND in Self Level, so rare I had to remember where the switch was!!  :laugh:

Its only a three court sized hall with a low ceiling, so not room for more than basic circuits going on for anything over Inductrix sized, and you'll note the rest of my group doing what they normally do, stand and talk!  :nananana:

Have only really bothered to post it as its using the Eachine DVR03, the 72 channel micro combo 0/25/50/200mW settable with a built in DVR/SD in case people were interested in its recording quality. This hall is usually quite bad for video reception over air, lots of metalwork bouncing signal, maybe eight Tx signals bouncing around, electrically noisy fluorescents, etc, but it actually gives a decent picture when set to 25mW, minimising reflected signal ( though remember this video is direct to onboard SD, not over link)

There is an OSD to show what its doing visible in headset but this is not recorded unless you choose to.

Quad is quite old now!!   :waiting: :-

Diatone ET 150 frame
    DYS 1104 4000kV
    DYS BLHeli XM10A
    AbuseMark Nase Rev6
    500mAh 3S

The frame posts in view are due to my desire to place the camera well back into the frame and so be well protected could easily be removed by moving the camera forward minimally.
  • #1527 by iRobot on 15 Oct 2017
  • Had a fly, only to discharge a lipo ,,,whilst powerwashing the garden  :angry:
    timelapsed 11 mins down to 40 seconds  :smiley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzN3qW1Rqbs&feature=youtu.be
  • #1528 by Bajadre on 15 Oct 2017
  •  :laugh: Quality mate lol @ the H  :cool:
  • #1529 by Saleem on 15 Oct 2017
  • I concur! One of the best in a while.
     :smiley:
  • #1530 by apollo7 on 15 Oct 2017
  • sort of.....mate tx to say going over the field so went along and watched while he flew the big powered glider and i put the AQ600 up for a 5 min flight to drop the lipo down a bit, should have done same on other lipo but not bothered
Pages:
Actions