Poll: So, Which TX are you using? If you own both brands choose which you use the most.

Frsky, and happy with the choice.
Frsky, and unhappy with the choice.
Flysky, and happy with the choice.
Flysky, and unhappy with the choice.

Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Reman on 10 Oct 2017
  • I'm curious about who has the market share between these two. I guess that although FrSky probably make more money, there's going to be more pilots using flysky kit because they tend to scag the people who just want to dip a toe into the hobby due to the lower prices.......... but I could be entirely wrong there. :)
  • #2 by CornishMule on 10 Oct 2017
  • I've only been flying for 5 months, so started with the Wizard x220 and the FlySky FS-i6 TX. It's been a great intro to the hobby and is serving me well. However, I am left wanting the following:

- Better quality gimbals (I've also tried the X9D, and even the ball bearing gimbals on there are far better than the Flysky ones)
    - Support for OpenTx - I've heard there's something coming for FlySky, but feel it will take a while to reach the maturity of OpenTx for FrSky
    - Voices ... tell me when my RSSI is low!!!
    - More channels for Telemetry etc (Yes I know I can do the firmware mod on the FlySky, but have read it stops the system working with sims so am cautious)
    - TBS Crossfire support / Modular multi-protocol adapters: Long range is gaining popularity, and to avoid replacing Rx in every model (and to support Tiny Whoops) the multi-protocol port is nice.

I am probably going to buy a Taranis soon. The question is whether it's the QX7 with M7 gimbals (and accept the TBS crossfire latency issue / HW mod), or go for the X9D special edition.
  • #3 by ched999uk on 10 Oct 2017
  • Bought Flysky when bought my first quad bits as reviews reasonable and it was cheap.
    Now with the Firmware 'updates' it is amazing for the money. The Frsky was just way above my budget and I didn't really understand the difference. I now understand the difference but I am happy with my Flysky and would rather spend my limited budget on batteries and quad improvements rather than a Frsky upgrade. :smiley:
  • #4 by ched999uk on 10 Oct 2017

• - More channels for Telemetry etc (Yes I know I can do the firmware mod on the FlySky, but have read it stops the system working with sims so am cautious)
    I have modded my i6 (original) and it still works with FPVFreerider sim no problem at all. I seem to remember, although I may be wrong, that you can revert back to factory FW from within the tx menus even after the FW mod. So if it wont work with your sim you can go back although you will probably lose any models in memory!!!!
  • #5 by CornishMule on 10 Oct 2017
  • I have modded my i6 (original) and it still works with FPVFreerider sim no problem at all. I seem to remember, although I may be wrong, that you can revert back to factory FW from within the tx menus even after the FW mod. So if it wont work with your sim you can go back although you will probably lose any models in memory!!!!

Thanks for the tip. I might take a look into that then :)
  • #6 by Cheredanine on 10 Oct 2017
  • I think you are gonna get a bias from the type of fliers here, I can tell you every single pilot on the flight line I use uses an Frsky taranis. One guy has a spectrum as a backup and I have a tango with an Frsky module as a backup but otherwise it is x9d plus all round.
  • #7 by DarkButterfly on 10 Oct 2017
  • X9D plus here,

Have got a Spektrum 6i and an aurora 9 as back ups, however they don't get used much, the A9 has been repurposed for surface use.

Frsky all the way. ~~
  • #8 by Bad Raven on 10 Oct 2017
  • I have both.

At the time I got the FS-i6 there was a distinct design gap between the two makes, FrSky didn't go that low, FlySky not that high spec. That has blurred with firmware for FlySky and new low spec models from FrSky.

I don't regret having either and use both pretty much every time I fly.

My main club is fixed wing and more fixed wing, most think Helicopters are "odd", and what they think of MR's is unprintable and based on no experience at all. They split 60% Spektrum (mostly DX8 and 9), 30% FrSky (Taranis and very recently a couple of Q7s), 10% Futaba ( a lot of older FASST)

I am the only one with Horus and the only one with FlySky (std firmware FS-i6).
  • #9 by Hozza on 10 Oct 2017
  • Got back into RC just over 2 years ago and contemplated a Flysky due to the cost of the Frsky at the time, but it was the misses that said go for the Taranis X9D+ so to not disobey I went X9D+ and love it.
  • #10 by apollo7 on 10 Oct 2017
  • I have 2 flyskys well a flysky and a Turnigy badged, both ai6 i use one with my quads and one with my planes yes i know i can programme different models but i like them and they work for me, i could do with one more channel in the future but dont want to hack the TX (to thick) but getting more into planes so can live with out the extra channel and dont see me changing my radio set up any time soon
  • #11 by ched999uk on 10 Oct 2017
  • i could do with one more channel in the future but dont want to hack the TX (to thick) but getting more into planes so can live with out the extra channel
    Flashing is very easy. You just need a ftdi usb adapter (£4 on ebay) and some wires to go between it and the i6. Then run a downloaded exe file and it does it all for you. No need to have to find port etc.
    It is much easier than it was at the beginning....
    If you want a link to guide let me know.
  • #12 by apollo7 on 10 Oct 2017
  • Flashing is very easy. You just need a ftdi usb adapter (£4 on ebay) and some wires to go between it and the i6. Then run a downloaded exe file and it does it all for you. No need to have to find port etc.
    It is much easier than it was at the beginning....
    If you want a link to guide let me know.
    Kind of you, i would only need another channel if i decide to build the Tarot 650 sport next year as it has retracts and i am using all six channels as my gimbal has tilt on the RX  but as things stand i am a bit jaded with building big quads, i really like my AQ600, so im thinking stick with what i have got and get sorted on my fixed wing
  • #13 by Reman on 10 Oct 2017
  • I think you are gonna get a bias from the type of fliers here

I'm not sure. We have quite a wide spread of thread subjects here, ranging from "Building my first real quad" and "Which xxxxx will work with yyyyy", Right up to stuff so technical and product specific that 90% of the forum members can't even follow what the threads about. :)

I wasn't very surprised when FlySky jumped into the lead earlier on, But I am wondering why all the FrSky owners waited till the evening to pop up?

With regards to flashing the i6, Rather than getting an FTDI adapter, The less scary option is to get an i6 update cable (www.banggood.com/FlySky-Data-Cable-USB-Download-Line-For-FS-i6-FS-T6-Transmitter-Firmware-Update-p-982289.html). My original i6 actually came with one in the box.
  • #14 by ched999uk on 10 Oct 2017
  • Kind of you, i would only need another channel if i decide to build the Tarot 650 sport next year as it has retracts and i am using all six channels as my gimbal has tilt on the RX  but as things stand i am a bit jaded with building big quads, i really like my AQ600, so im thinking stick with what i have got and get sorted on my fixed wing
    No problem.
    The Firmware is here : https://github.com/qba667/FlySkyI6/releases download the NO SW14 (unless you add an extra switch!!!!)
    The guide I used for connecting ftdi was https://github.com/benb0jangles/FlySky-i6-Mod-  the bit that says 'flashing the i6 using trainer port'.
    I can't remember what drivers I installed for the ftdi but if you have used one before it should work.
    One really useful feature is you can set flight battery alarms if you have the V01 (I think) module plugged into your 6chor 10ch rx (you can wire lipo voltage into the rx to get lipoo voltage display on tx, cant remember where the hack is as didnt do it) or use the X6B rx. I use the 10ch rx on my F450 and have gimbal on 2ch, plus remote video switcher (between gimbal cam and fpv cam) so I am using 8 channels no problem at all.
Pages:
Actions