User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • hoverfly: Using old clam mobile, and waiting 2 mins for web page to load...its slower than dial up... :cry
    Today at 18:40:42
  • atomiclama: how will you survive
    Today at 15:29:29
  • hoverfly: Broadband down to  .19mbs no phone..   :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:..
    Today at 13:59:07
  • ched999uk: Like the flags, thought I better show rest of UK  :N-Ireland: :scotland: :wales:
    Today at 13:22:26
  • Gaza07: :england:
    Today at 11:24:13
  • Gav: :uk:
    Today at 11:05:19
  • Gav: hello peeps
    Today at 11:05:03
  • Bajadre: lol hover
    October 17, 2017, 15:14:13
  • hoverfly: His grandfather was called onehunglow ,there was an accident when he tried jumping a fence... :o
    October 16, 2017, 16:26:06
  • Wyntrblue: ok i will get mycoat and go away now
    October 16, 2017, 14:43:56
  • Wyntrblue: is his grandfather called li puffed?.....
    October 16, 2017, 14:43:44
  • Bad Raven: Chinese guy, goes by the name of Li Po
    October 16, 2017, 14:06:32
  • hoverfly: I don't where does he live??
    October 16, 2017, 10:13:48
  • Bad Raven: Yes, do you......   :rolleyes:
    October 16, 2017, 05:49:43
  • Vivian Lai: do youknow TATTU Rline new 1800 4s ?
    October 16, 2017, 04:52:30
  • DarkButterfly: Was going to fly FPV today, but run all 4 batteries on the wing LOS, great fun ::)
    October 15, 2017, 21:49:40
  • Gav: make sure to video it
    October 12, 2017, 09:34:47
  • hoverfly: I'll give it a go... :laugh:
    October 12, 2017, 09:30:35
  • Gav: oh eye brow for flight mode switch.
    October 12, 2017, 09:29:24
  • Gav: good question. well.. only if you have heated handle bar grips and use your tongue to operate the throttle and your nose for the aileron and elevator
    October 12, 2017, 09:27:46

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Stuff we buy but don't need.  (Read 235 times)

Offline Sweet Pickle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 18
  • Liked: 139
Stuff we buy but don't need.
« on: October 09, 2017, 11:26:48 »
This hobby is littered with money spent on things you might need "in case". Always order extra ESC's, Motors, Arms etc. etc etc. I have probably a surplus of 15 flight controllers, 5 VTX, half a dozen cameras and countless others.
What really started me thinking was I have just discovered a big(ish) unopened pack of props.
Some members will remember the prop drought a couple of years back where we set up a group buy. If I remember rightly Makeitbuildit stumped up the job lot and we all chipped in and divvied up the spoils.
I clearly can't have been as desperate as I thought as I have just popped open the pack to find 20 sets of 2 blade virgin unused HQ 5040's. Right beside it I had an envelope from China with the same amount of the first wave of DAL "unbreakables".

Wish our stores at work was half as full of spares as I keep.

Offline apollo7

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 43
  • Liked: 546
Re: Stuff we buy but don't need.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 18:10:24 »
We do tend to collect kit we dont use, i seem to gather planes and not fly them because i am rubbish and dont want to break them, had 2 yes 2 skyshadow 800 wings and never flew them, sold them in the end, then got an X1 600 wing, never flew it and sold it
S550 with Naza and Phantom 3, Falcon evo 1340 wing, AQ600 Quad
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground

Offline Reman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
  • Liked: 112
  • Rebuild, Fly, Crash, Repeat.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 21:35:25 »
Jesus, I've bought SO much stuff under the heading of "Just in case".
My usual trick is (If the item in question isn't too expensive) buying 2 or 3 of them so I have spares for if when I crash. I also got a habit of taking advantage of the "Wholesale discounts" (Buy 3 and get a few pence off) most Chinese websites offer.

Significant new items in the spares boxes at the minute are 4 frames, 2 or 3 sets of motors, several F3 clones (Not quite sure how many. Somewhere between 3 and 6 at the minute I'd guess), Probably a couple hundred various 5" blades, Maybe 70 or 80 6" blades, and God only knows how many 3" blades I've got kicking about.

The props will most likely all get used at some point, And the rest of it will most likely end up getting put together to make yet more quads when I get bored and feel in the mood......... But that will be sometime after I've found time to finish the 5 quads I've current got mid build, And the 3 updating/rebuilds I've been meaning to sort out for a few months now. :)

I think the most pointless things I've bought though are the spare "Q" frame arms (For my Q250, Q280, Q330 and the Q450). I've probably got a total of 30 spare arms in the two different sizes........ And despite some bl00dy spectacular crashes with those frames, I've never broke any arms !
A really bad day of flying is still ten times better than a good day at work.

Offline Gav

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 262
  • -Receive: 100
  • Liked: 723
  • quadtastic
    • 5.8GHz FPV Antenna FORSALE
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 08:00:53 »
I've stepped back a lot from this 'syndrome'.  I've been the same with quad spares and before that, with rc helis - loads of spares and managed to build 3x 450 helis out of the spares...crazy. Gets to a point where enough is enough and sell the excess on, in a clear out frenzy.
I stick to just 2 quads now. Camera ship XuGong V2 and a QAV210.  I only get spares if I need them and try to keep it minimal.  Crap still build up though.
I might have another clear out now actually lol.

Offline nate80

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 21
  • Liked: 232
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 08:34:10 »
+1 like Gav. Caught the multi rotor bug hard and spent like crazy for the first year or two. Then realised I was building and modding more than I was flying and I had piles of spares and replacement parts building up. Started selling some of it off a few months back. Brand new boxed cameras, esc's, motors, frames etc. Problem is, due to the technology moving on so fast it's slow to sell and worth about 30% what I paid for it. You live and learn. Now I try to buy more sparingly and only when I definitely need it.

Offline Saleem

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • Liked: 171
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 16:12:34 »
I tend to knock a new build together,it keeps my supposed spares as a flying quad,much better i think.think my next build will be started by the fact i cant get a swift mini to work right with a kombini aio fc,so replacement fc incoming.will start me off on another build as will have spare fc,once i got enought parts,i buy what i need and knock together new builds,so currently on my 6th build,currently trying to fly 5 at the mo,obviously not altogether!
 :smiley:

Offline apollo7

• Thank You
  • Liked: 546
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 16:21:31 »
+1 like Gav. Caught the multi rotor bug hard and spent like crazy for the first year or two. Then realised I was building and modding more than I was flying and I had piles of spares and replacement parts building up. Started selling some of it off a few months back. Brand new boxed cameras, esc's, motors, frames etc. Problem is, due to the technology moving on so fast it's slow to sell and worth about 30% what I paid for it. You live and learn. Now I try to buy more sparingly and only when I definitely need it.

This is same for me, i have frames, motors, esc`s props, flight controllers all in boxes, even got 2 working quads that i dont fly no more.............time for a clear out! i have 2 quads that i really enjoy...the P3s and the AQ600 and really cant be bothered with any more multi rotor builds, got one wing in build, another wing has just arrived and waiting on a micro skyhunter....plus another plane high on my wish list (would order it now but no room so i need to crash a few planes to make room ;)
S550 with Naza and Phantom 3, Falcon evo 1340 wing, AQ600 Quad
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground

Offline Bad Raven

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 47
  • Liked: 361
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 17:45:12 »
If you are only into multirotors, think yourself lucky!

As fast as I try to clear the backlog, people will do another "Dave'll take that on" and another needy cause (maybe!) joins the list.

MR wise is not too bad, no frames spare.................. Oh well only two........................, and they are 3D print little'uns, so they don't count.

At least, they don't when compared to the several 12ft span or more gliders waiting attention/refurbishment.   :rolleyes:

Or the three 80" or more span power planes.  :whistling:

Technically I have not "paid" for these monsters, well not money, loss of space yes, loads of sweat, toil and tears, yes..............